NEED HELP AC compressor clutch allways engaged

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I just noticed the ac clutch won't disengage if i turn off the ac.
It will disengage if the ac relay removed . so I keep the relay out until I fix the problem worrying about the battery drain
BTW The cooling is fine. !

c good

Dec 8, 2011
I would start with the basics first. Have you tried a different relay? Maybe something inside the relay is stuck. Next would be to check the control panel. Maybe a switch or button is stuck.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I just noticed the ac clutch won't disengage if i turn off the ac.
It will disengage if the ac relay removed . so I keep the relay out until I fix the problem worrying about the battery drain
BTW The cooling is fine. !

To engage the compressor clutch the PCM grounds one side of the relay coil. The other side of the relay coil is powered through the ignition switch. So if the wire going from the A/C relay to the PCM gets worn somewhere and grounds out then the compressor will run continously.

It is also possible for the relay to fail and get stuck I suppose. I just haven't seen that happen on these low power relays.

Swap out the A/C relay for the high beam headlights and see if the headlights stay on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And just something to be aware of, if you have it set to defrost or defrost/floor, the A/C compressor will run to remove moisture from the air. There is no way to turn it off, even if you push the A/C button. In any other setting it can be turned off.

Turning the whole system off (auto HVAC) or the fan off (manual HVAC) should turn off the compressor. If replacing the relay doesn't solve it, check to see if the PCM is sending the ground signal to the relay. If so, something is falsely telling the PCM that A/C is being requested. Look at the schematics to follow the wiring.

Reactions: yazan and Matt

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
There's something strange about the auto ac system. I also noticed that when I press the AC off button it doesn't immediately disengage the compressor. Pushing the off button does.
So it's not the relay. Something in the programming of the controller.......

Reactions: yazan

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I would start with the basics first. Have you tried a different relay? Maybe something inside the relay is stuck. Next would be to check the control panel. Maybe a switch or button is stuck.

To engage the compressor clutch the PCM grounds one side of the relay coil. The other side of the relay coil is powered through the ignition switch. So if the wire going from the A/C relay to the PCM gets worn somewhere and grounds out then the compressor will run continously.

It is also possible for the relay to fail and get stuck I suppose. I just haven't seen that happen on these low power relays.

Swap out the A/C relay for the high beam headlights and see if the headlights stay on.
i did , i replaced the relay with a new one -spare - and also swapped it with similar ,

And just something to be aware of, if you have it set to defrost or defrost/floor, the A/C compressor will run to remove moisture from the air. There is no way to turn it off, even if you push the A/C button. In any other setting it can be turned off.

Turning the whole system off (auto HVAC) or the fan off (manual HVAC) should turn off the compressor. If replacing the relay doesn't solve it, check to see if the PCM is sending the ground signal to the relay. If so, something is falsely telling the PCM that A/C is being requested. Look at the schematics to follow the wiring.
it's engaged even with engine off ! and i checked the buttons its not active , also i disconnected the rear hvac control unit to see what will happen

There's something strange about the auto ac system. I also noticed that when I press the AC off button it doesn't immediately disengage the compressor. Pushing the off button does.
So it's not the relay. Something in the programming of the controller.......
yes the auto ac have some weird problems i have many in my old tb , but my new ev is manual

now ,, what is driving me crazy is how that could happen if the the whole vehicle is off and engine is off and even the key is removed from the cylinder ? , its suppose to be every thing is off when engine is off !

so maybe the controllers and pcm is out of concerns ,
i will start with wiring .......... maybe short or open circut!?!?!

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
,, what is driving me crazy is how that could happen if the the whole vehicle is off and engine is off and even the key is removed from the cylinder ? , its suppose to be every thing is off when engine is off !

Let me restate somethings to get the situation clear in my mind:

(1) Remove the relay and the clutch releases.

(2) Turn off and remove the key and the relay remains engaged.

Query: Can we assume ALL wiring in the truck is as it was when it rolled off the factory floor? NO changes to audio, no added lighting, no added remote starts, security, NOTHING altered?

The relay coil that should only have power when the key is at RUN or START would have to be getting power from somewhere and at the same time the control wire from the relay coil to the PCM would have to be grounded out somewhere. Seems unlikely for both of these failures to occur.

Reactions: Mooseman and yazan

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like @TJBaker57 said. With key off, there should be no power able to get to the relay and clutch. It is possible that the PCM for that circuit is a normally closed contact and sends ground by default, which would explain why they would have a switched + on the other side of the relay. To confirm this, put the relay in and turn on the ignition (not running) and see if the clutch disengages.

With key off and relay in, check if there is power at fuse 22 (IGN E), if there is, pull that fuse and see if the clutch disengages. If it does, then something is feeding that fuse when it shouldn't. If it doesn't (relay still powered), then something between the fuse and relay is feeding that circuit. Test and report your findings.

PS: Do not run the compressor in this state as it is a cycling clutch system and if the PCM is unable to shut off the compressor, it can either freeze up the evaporator or, worse, overpressure the high side and explode.

Attachments

• 05 Envoy Compressor Schem.pdf
    80.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: yazan

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
With key off and relay in, check if there is power at fuse 22 (IGN E), if there is, pull that fuse and see if the clutch disengages. If it does, then something is feeding that fuse when it shouldn't. If it doesn't (relay still powered), then something between the fuse and relay is feeding that circuit. Test and report your findings.

PS: Do not run the compressor in this state as it is a cycling clutch system and if the PCM is unable to shut off the compressor, it can either freeze up the evaporator or, worse, overpressure the high side and explode.

i tapped a wire at the ac compressor socket to a testing lamp with long wire and i put that lamp on the front glass to monitor while I'am testing and following the diagrams under hood and inside the car at front and rear hvac

i think the pre owner did something to the rear hvac , near the blower motor , i saw a wires that dont look like oem work > tomorrow I will remove that plastic covers and I think I had to remove the 3rd row seat for a full access to the unit

until now 2 relays worn out "stuck engaged" , i don't know how and why ! only the relay get damaged , and the ac fuse is still ok , so i make a simple test and touched the ac clutch wires to see if the fuse will blown or no , and it does , blowned !
i noticed that the relay bottom right pin is hard to seat .( that feeds the ac clutch as described in @TJBaker57 post )

tomorrow i will keep testing , and I will keep updating the post

BTW thanks for the reminder about not turning the ac on as long it will not disengage at all and will damage the system , also your advised "in another post" scan app "scan gauge pro" and car gauge pro , detected a P0530 A/C Refrigerant Pressure Sensor A Circuit Malfunction , witch not detected by torque pro app and that code lead to that point you talked about , the switch is trying to disengage the clutch but no response

Thanks for that app advise

and thaaaaaanks all @Mooseman @TJBaker57 @Mektek @c good for the very helpfull info

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Ok. The first Update .I believe he had a problems with the rear hvac control unit , so he disconnected the rear controler and make the rear fan control (that near the shifter ) operates with direct wires to the rear fan . and guess what? Where he take the source that feed the fan 1/2/3 speed signal from?

Hot 12v? No

Accessories wire? No

Rear cegar lighter ? No

Ign1 or ign2?no for sure no

He had to smarter than this and tap it to the dome light wire. That controller by the dome in headlights switch!

That feed the dash and buttons bulbs. So if its sunny outhere or the dash lights was of so there is no power to the rear hvac.

I hope I describe it clear

Attachments

• IMG_20210901_165145.jpg
    IMG_20210901_165145.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210901_165134.jpg
    IMG_20210901_165134.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210901_165127.jpg
    IMG_20210901_165127.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210901_165110.jpg
    IMG_20210901_165110.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210901_165104.jpg
    IMG_20210901_165104.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 6

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I hate bad hackery like this instead of actually fixing the problem. Good on you for finding it.

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hi after long time . vacation and the envoy was parked for this long time.
So after this long time I missed what and where did I stop the diagnosis.
I dound this tow wires going from front hvac unit to the engine Bay .
I will keep updating. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211115_114536.jpg
    IMG_20211115_114536.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online