AC Clutch Replacement

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
Planning for a 4000 mile trip during the summer so I had to be sure the AC was good. I noticed slippage under acceleration and highway speeds.

Removed the original AC clutch:
P6081834.JPG

The electromagnet looks fried. The pulley face is worn out. Front plate looks bad too.

P6071830.JPG

On the right is a used replacement. Looks much better.

P6071828.JPG

There is a friction disk bonded to the pulley as seen on the left. When it wears out, it looks like the pulley on the right.
If you have a high mileage truck where the AC is used a lot, you should inspect your clutch to make sure it isn't worn out.

I had previously replaced the bearing and didn't stake the replacement. I found the bearing pulled out approximately a millimeter after a year of use. So a replacement bearing definitely does need to be staked in.

I tried to find a new clutch from Honda vehicles. We have the largest of the TRSA series compressors and the shaft diameter is larger than the smaller (though otherwise virtually identical) compressors used in Hondas. :no:

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately we've never been able to find a source for new clutches and coils but at least you were able to find a good used set. We've resorted to replacing the whole compressor when the clutch goes. I wonder where rebuilders get theirs?

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I agree with the need for a source for replacement clutches. Mine was in and out until I removed the shim, as suggested on this site. It now works but I feel it will only be temporary.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
Removing the shim gives it zero clearance on a normal clutch. It would never fully release. Only if you have a substantial amount of wear would you have more than zero.
The front clutch plate moves on rubber bushings - I suspect that the rubber can harden under certain circumstances and prevent the full movement of the plate.
It's also likely that when the friction disk wears out, slippage starts to happen and this heats up the assembly causing accelerated failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher