AC Clutch failed....

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
My AC Clutch decided to give up the ghost on a trip back from NH... burned out the bearings in it.. lovely times, any recommendations on a cheap replacement compressor? I put on a shorter belt for the time being...

Attachments

• PXL_20220715_173327029.jpg
    PXL_20220715_173327029.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220715_173332409.jpg
    PXL_20220715_173332409.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 10

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
My AC Clutch decided to give up the ghost on a trip back from NH... burned out the bearings in it.. lovely times, any recommendations on a cheap replacement compressor? I put on a shorter belt for the time being...
Mine went out the same way I installed a new bearing but pressing the wheel back on all the way was hard and my belt slipped off I ended up putting in an AutoZone compressor I bought one off of eBay but ended up getting the wrong part so while the car was apart I just went to AutoZone and grab one eBay cheapo’s aren’t worth it

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I was thinking of ordering one from rockauto... Wasn't sure what brands were recommended

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've had good luck with GPD, which are new made in China. Never heard anything good about Four Seizin, new or rebuilt. Actually never had good luck with any rebuilt.

Reactions: JerryIrons

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I've had good luck with GPD, which are new made in China. Never heard anything good about Four Seizin, new or rebuilt. Actually never had good luck with any rebuilt.
I just ordered a GPD from rockauto... good times ahead...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I've replaced both the Sierra's and Accord's A/C compressors within the last couple of years. Both were Denso (and that was OEM for both, too).

Just pay attention to whether the new one ships with compressor oil inside, or not.

Also, since the system will be evac'd when you pull the compressor, it's a good time to replace all the o-rings that join the piping together (you can get kits that have all the sizes in one bag). Lube the seals with a wee bit of compressor oil when you replace them.

Finally, a lot of companies will insist on you also replacing the receiver / drier (and even the condenser!) in order to fully warranty the part. Unless the internals blew up, I'd leave the condenser as-is. The receiver/drier is fairly cheap (that's the big silver cylinder that attaches to the firewall). If you replace that, it's supposed to have about 1-2 oz of compressor oil (or pour any existing out of the old one, and subtract that amount from one ounce -- the Sierra's was dry when I took out the old one.)

The last part in this path is (on GM) the 'orifice tube' (it's located between the receiver outlet and the hose it connects to.) Either the outlet or inlet side (I forget which), but you'd see it when you disco the hoses from the receiver. Those are also fairly cheap, and if you're going to replace the receiver, I'd spring for the extra few bucks for the orifice tube, too. They break easily, so take care when inserting it. It can also be a bit of a pain to dig the old one out of the hose (pick tools help).

I have frosty A/C in both vehicles now, fwiw. 💨❄️

PS: If you're recharging the A/C yourself, I'd get a couple of extra cans of R134a, as it won't be long before the same thing happens with R134a as it did with R12 -- manufacturing ceased, and the existing supply just kept going up in price, for the few years you could still find it, afterward.

I got mine from WalMart a couple of years ago; bought about a dozen cans, since all three of my vehicles use R134a.

Last edited:

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I've replaced both the Sierra's and Accord's A/C compressors within the last couple of years. Both were Denso (and that was OEM for both, too).

Just pay attention to whether the new one ships with compressor oil inside, or not.

Also, since the system will be evac'd when you pull the compressor, it's a good time to replace all the o-rings that join the piping together (you can get kits that have all the sizes in one bag). Lube the seals with a wee bit of compressor oil when you replace them.

Finally, a lot of companies will insist on you also replacing the receiver / drier (and even the condenser!) in order to fully warranty the part. Unless the internals blew up, I'd leave the condenser as-is. The receiver/drier is fairly cheap (that's the big silver cylinder that attaches to the firewall). If you replace that, it's supposed to have about 1-2 oz of compressor oil (or pour any existing out of the old one, and subtract that amount from one ounce -- the Sierra's was dry when I took out the old one.)

The last part in this path is (on GM) the 'orifice tube' (it's located between the receiver outlet and the hose it connects to.) Either the outlet or inlet side (I forget which), but you'd see it when you disco the hoses from the receiver. Those are also fairly cheap, and if you're going to replace the receiver, I'd spring for the extra few bucks for the orifice tube, too. They break easily, so take care when inserting it. It can also be a bit of a pain to dig the old one out of the hose (pick tools help).

I have frosty A/C in both vehicles now, fwiw. 💨❄️

PS: If you're recharging the A/C yourself, I'd get a couple of extra cans of R134a, as it won't be long before the same thing happens with R134a as it did with R12 -- manufacturing ceased, and the existing supply just kept going up in price, for the few years you could still find it, afterward.

I got mine from WalMart a couple of years ago; bought about a dozen cans, since all three of my vehicles use R134a.
I ordered a compressor kit, has compressor (prefilled with oil), orifice tube, dryer, and some o-rings... My compressor is fine, didn't detonate itself, just the clutch failed... I was going to try to find a used clutch to put on it, but when I pulled the old clutch off, the inner race stayed on the compressor. It's more of a pain to try to remove that then to change the whole thing. I have some refrigerant left attached to my gauges, but I need to purchase some extra.

This truck is slowly falling apart, I've got a hole in my rear hatch, rust everywhere... Trying to make it through to next year. I'm hoping to find a full size f150 that fits my want/needs, but pickings are slim. Seems like everyone wants more then the value for trucks around here. Local dealerships are asking ~4k+ over nada value for their trucks...

• Sad
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I've used Four Seasons and they do suck, will never buy again. They like to whine around 2000 rpms and fail early. Maybe that's why they call it four seasons, that's how long they hope it lasts !

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might be a little late however, for anybody looking (because my clutch just got smoked), I did find a clutch kit on AliExpress:

Problems though are that it's only $30USD but shipping is $50USD. That comes to $104CAD. Other problem is that it would take about a month to get here, if at all with the current problems with shipping from China.

I'm probably gonna look for a good used clutch or grab the whole compressor if it was a recent replacement before being scrapped. Not too many candidates in the yard at the moment.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Well got the compressor installed this morning, had to borrow a vacuum pump from work, had to rig up a connection to the vacuum pump as it didn't have the standard threads that my gauge hoses had.. zip-ties to the rescue!.. got it pulled down and didnt seem to leak, charged it up and found my gauges had a clogged line on the high side... stupid cheap shit. anyway, its fully charged and working like a champ... Hopefully it lasts another year.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online