ABS lights when hitting bump

darlmn

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
When I hit a bump in the road with right front wheel, ABS light comes on. Most of the time it stays on , but sometimes it will go out. Truck brakes fine, light however is annoying. Advice appreciated.....

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
You need a code reader with ABS abilities. If you don't have one, perhaps your friends do. My code reader does not have that capability, so I borrowed one and found the problem right away (passenger side rear wheel speed sensor) on my van. This narrowed the problem, which I quickly found to be an unplugged harness.

The code reader would help you locate the problem, which may be one of your wheels.

On these vehicles, it could also be a ground problem - I seem to recall one ground being under the driver's feet on the underside of the vehicle, it tends to get corrosion there and cause problems.

Can you get a code reader that reads ABS?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Check your wheel speed sensor, repair/replace as necessary. I don't know if you can separate it from the hub assembly or if you have to replace the whole thing. If you've got bearings going bad up front replacing the hub assembly needs done anyway.

darlmn

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Will have it checked with reader, and check ground . I know it happens when right front wheel hits bump, the hub assembly on my truck is all one unit and a little costly , but like you say if it has to be replaced so be it...... thank you for your replies.....

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Just make sure you scan it first ... if it is the right front you will probably have to replace the hub, but you know what they say about assume .....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I bet the connection for the sensor is loose or dirty. Check that first as only expensive readers can check the abs codes. A pair of hubs with sensors is about 70 bucks on ebay.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
I bet the connection for the sensor is loose or dirty. Check that first as only expensive readers can check the abs codes. A pair of hubs with sensors is about 70 bucks on ebay.

This, if replacement is necessary. Shoot, you can have a pair of Timkens for $300, though that's four times the price of the ebay ones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online