ABS LIGHT

Master tech 1

Original poster
Jan 7, 2018
Chicago
I have a 05 TB EXT 4.2 4 WD the ABS light was on & off for a while now that the temp. Dropped 15 deg. It no longer comes on Don't know why Any help is appreciated TY

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would need to get the ABS codes to find out what is going on. You would need a scanner capable of doing this. It may be in history but may only be readable when the light is on.

Edit: On second thought, check the grounds. Maybe with the colder temps, the shrinkage is making it contact better.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The ground on the frame just below the drivers door is the one that always causes me problems when it gets cold. As Moose said, check the codes and let us know. If one of the is a "loss of communication with the EBCM" then we have found the problem. Simple solution and not uncommon, especially in cold weather.

Master tech 1

Original poster
Jan 7, 2018
Chicago
The ground on the frame just below the drivers door is the one that always causes me problems when it gets cold. As Moose said, check the codes and let us know. If one of the is a "loss of communication with the EBCM" then we have found the problem. Simple solution and not uncommon, especially in cold weather.
The only code is for the RF wheel speed sensor but the light was on again Off again. But now in the colder weather it's staying off.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
This likely relates to the small gap in the sensor and how that may change in cold weather. Some owners have successfully removed the senor and cleaned the corrosion on the mounting surface. I will let others describe this as I have never done it myself.

For most of us, this is solved by a new wheel bearing hub.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
It really shows itself when you are driving at slow speeds, like right before stopping at a stop sign, on perfectly dry roads.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
+1 for @m.mcmillen 's recommendation to change hub.
However, if you want to clean the sensor while you acquire a new hub: it's easy, provided you don't break the little bolt holding the wss in the hub.
You'll have to remove the rotor to access the wss in the hub. There's a little bolt (allen head, iirc). Once you remove the bolt the wss should pull right out (might need to wiggle it gently) - be careful, there should be a shim or two between the flange on the wss and the hub itself. I cleaned my wss with a soft wire brush and maf/electronics cleaner. Because mine showed some rust I also sanded it lightly with 1000 grit sandpaper and cleaned it again with maf/electronics cleaner. When you reinstall it, reuse the shims - although, if you sand it you might need to leave a shim out - dunno. Mine worked great and I left a shim out that was the thinnest shim I've ever seen.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd just replace the hub and be done with it for the trouble of getting the brakes off.

Reactions: m.mcmillen

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online