ABS LIGHT still on 02 GMC SLT Envoy

SMonroy

Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Las Vegas
02 GMC SLT Envoy
I've cleaned the ground wire, no blown fuses, cleared codes and replaced the ABS module. The ABS and brake light are still on. Any recommendations

Joe_67

Aug 9, 2022
Central Virginia
You'll want to get your hands on a code reader than can pull ABS codes. The codes will give you a starting point for diagnosis. Typical auto parts store readers won't do as they are normally just generic OBD2 readers. If you want to set yourself up with something search the site for info on TorquePro and using that with a bluetooth dongle.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I will advise not to rely on Torque Pro to report all codes reliably. I recently experienced an instance where Torque ignored a code result that was reported to it by a PCM. I documented this by using a second dongle and recording the vehicle network traffic so I can see the code being reported but Torque Pro simply didn't report it. This is not the first time I have seen this either.

There are other low cost apps that will get these codes for you.

Joe_67

Aug 9, 2022
Central Virginia
I will advise not to rely on Torque Pro to report all codes reliably. I recently experienced an instance where Torque ignored a code result that was reported to it by a PCM. I documented this by using a second dongle and recording the vehicle network traffic so I can see the code being reported but Torque Pro simply didn't report it. This is not the first time I have seen this either.

There are other low cost apps that will get these codes for you.

That's weird. And good to know. Did you happen to ask their tech support about it?

I've not been using TorquePro, and have a "Bluedriver." But I do have a couple of dongles and was thinking of also setting up with Torque

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I thought BlueDriver was able to pull ABS codes.

With a generic Bluetooth OBD adapter, you can use the free Chevrosys app on Android. There is also CarGaugePro but it's a bit clunky to use and costs a couple of bucks.

Reactions: budwich

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
BlueDriver does pull ABS codes. Plus, even if erased, it still holds ABS codes in history. You should still be able to read them and let us know. The most common problem with multiple codes is the ground. You really need to brush it to bare metal and some of us even use a star washer to dig in to good metal. (Don't forget to spray with rubber undercoating when you are done.)

But if your brake light and ABS light are both on, it could be as simple as a brake light switch. It will also disable the ABS system.

Reactions: Mooseman

Joe_67

Aug 9, 2022
Central Virginia
I thought BlueDriver was able to pull ABS codes.

With a generic Bluetooth OBD adapter, you can use the free Chevrosys app on Android. There is also CarGaugePro but it's a bit clunky to use and costs a couple of bucks.

As Chickenhawk mentioned, the Bluedriver does pull the ABS along with history codes fro pretty much everything. As a code reader it is pretty powerful (tho once failed to pull SRS codes from a friend's GMC truck and I still don't know why). It also does live data, but as far as being a live data scantool, from what I've seen TorquePro might offer more/better options. That's why I was thinking of checking it out.

I think that other than a Tech II nothing will be perfect (e.g. TJBaker57's report of a fail with the TorquePro and mine with the ABS code). But you can't beat the comparative price!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
(tho once failed to pull SRS codes from a friend's GMC truck and I still don't know why)
Could have been a blown fuse, power or wiring issue, a CANBUS communication issue or a completely failed module. I had a no comms with an ABS module once and it turned out to be a corroded fuse.

Anyway, let's see what the OP @SMonroy says. Without codes, he's just shooting in the dark.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.