NEED HELP ABS Light, Low Oil Pressure, Engine cut off

RedMonte85

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Hi there, about two weeks ago I was driving down a bumpy road and my 03 Envoy started to sputter and the engine cut off. I turned the ignition off, waited a few minutes started it up and it ran fine. Today I am driving about 55mph and the car suddenly felt like the brakes were applied or the engine had a hiccup, not entirely sure but the ABS light popped on for a split second. About 3 miles down the road, I came to a 4way stop and the engine died and the screen said low oil pressure. I am not sure what the issue is but I am thinking its electrical of some sort. All of the fluids are at the correct levels, the car is not currently throwing any codes. Any ideas?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Most likely the oil pressure sender is kaput.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The oil pressure warning came on because the engine was stopped. Very normal so oil pressure and sender are likely good. That part of the system isn't smart enough to know the RPM is 0.

A possible reason for the stall and ABS light is a flaky ignition switch. It's a cheap and easy part to try first. You could also check all your grounds as that also has been known to cause weird electrical gremlins. These should help locate them:
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/electrical-ground-locations.15491/

RedMonte85

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Thanks mooseman, I will replace the ignition switch and I will check the speed sensor wiring. The grounds will also be checked. I highly doubt the oil sender is bad.

Also, while I have that apart my bright lights haven't worked for a long while when I push forward on the lever. They work fine when I pull back on it. Is that an easy fix while the steering column is exposed?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It might need a little more work by taking off the top cover. Check the schematics and troubleshoot before condemning the multi function switch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online