ABS going nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
Hello everyone i have a 2003 Chevy trailblazer 4.6l 4x4 and every time i use the breaks and get below 20 KM's my ABS goes in to full action and i have almost missed a stop sign because of it. I have just gone 4x4ing on Sunday with wootown22 and on my 6 hour drive home i had no issues and now Wednesday it goes nuts. so i thought dirty sensor nope i washed the truck with the touch-less car wash with the undercarriage blast and no go. but on the bright side there is no dirt anywhere on him. Can the sensor be going??? dose that mean i need new hubs??

jham

Nov 20, 2011
bigytwotone said:
Hello everyone i have a 2003 Chevy trailblazer 4.6l 4x4 and every time i use the breaks and get below 20 KM's my ABS goes in to full action and i have almost missed a stop sign because of it. I have just gone 4x4ing on Sunday with wootown22 and on my 6 hour drive home i had no issues and now Wednesday it goes nuts. so i thought dirty sensor nope i washed the truck with the touch-less car wash with the undercarriage blast and no go. but on the bright side there is no dirt anywhere on him. Can the sensor be going??? dose that mean i need new hubs??

sounds like the sensor is bad yes. Might need someone with a scan tool to know which sensor is bad. Some people pull the abs fuse to stop the abs from kicking on.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
bigytwotone said:
great just what i need now. well ok i will have to take it in and get it looked at so dose any one know how many abs sensors there are??

do you have traction control? Mine has no traction control I have two speed sensors on the front and one on the tail shaft of the trans.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
You just went off-roading.

First thing I'd do is check to make sure the sensors are all connected.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
You just went off-roading.

First thing I'd do is check to make sure the sensors are all connected.

Yes, certainly check all your connections first.

Do you have any howl from the front end? It could be that you have a wheel bearing going out.

When changing the front sensors you only need one. Replace the drivers side then drive it for a day or so. If it does not go away then put the one you removed on the passenger side. If the problem persists then you will need to look elsewhere.

Good luck

Feb 24, 2012
bigytwotone said:
today in the rain i changed the front diff fluid and tried to see if i could fix my ABS problem but no i couldn't:sadcry:

Maybe you want to add this info to this ABS thread?

Front diff won't have anything to do with your ABS, the front wheel speed sensors are built into the hubs. You can't clean the sensors, although you can check the connectors. The WSS plugs are in a weatherproof connector coming out of the wheel bearing and usually following the brake hose up and out of the wheel well. As long as they are visibly tight, check the rest of the sensor wiring with an ohmmeter to test the wires and you may even be able to see the sensor action with an ohmmeter connected and spinning the wheel by hand. It sounds to me like you have a wire rubbing somewhere.

A shop with a good scan tool/computer can connect to the ABS system and watch the WSS outputs, and then tell you which sensor you need to troubleshoot/replace. I have my own PCM scan tool but it won't communicate with ABS system. I have a local shop I can pay $30 to hook up and read any ABS codes if needed, they know up front I am going to DIY the repairs.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Hey buddy I bet my money on that Sensor going bad too. I had a similar case few months back. Same sensor on the bearing went bad! I changed the sensor and then 2 weeks later my bearing went bad :hissyfit:

Bought a new bearing and of course came with a new sensor :mad:

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
so i haven't drove the TB for a week now and we have found out that the front drivers side sensor is shot so i go to order a new one. but im thinking im going to change them all just to be safe.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online