ABS Fault error and hub bearings/wiring harnesses

sfarag21

Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Forgive my noobness. I have an 08 Colorado. Recently the ABS fault error message began turning off and on. I took it to the dealer and after a lot of checking they told me that I need to replace both front hub bearings and both front wire harnesses. They told me they want $1,300 for that! Has anyone dealt with this issue? Any advice would as to how to approach and how much it should cost would be greatly appreciated. I note that I am not really too handy so doing it myself is probably not an option. Thanks!!!!

sfarag21

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
WHAT!?!?!?

Are you having any vibrations or noises from up front? Goes away during turns right or left?

Raise the truck and wiggle each wheel. If you feel it's solid, see if it turns smoothly. If it does, then your hubs are fine.

As for checking the ABS, another member wil have to chime in.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

sfarag21

Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Robbabob said:
WHAT!?!?!?

Are you having any vibrations or noises from up front? Goes away during turns right or left?

Raise the truck and wiggle each wheel. If you feel it's solid, see if it turns smoothly. If it does, then your hubs are fine.

As for checking the ABS, another member wil have to chime in.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Thanks! I've been reading a lot online about this issue. It seems like a lot of people have had this problem after getting their brakes done (including me). I keep reading about people replacing the hubs and having the problem reoccur (after wasting a grand or two). I complained to GM and I am waiting for a response. I doubt they are going to do anything to help. The only other "symptom" I get is push back on the pedal under my foot when I break occasionally. There is no real noise that comes or goes, one of the rotors is scratched so I get a little shimmying when I brake. I have very little faith that the dealership knows what is wrong... :confused:

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
hahaha it's funny you post this as my ABS Fault light has just turned on. It is a very common issue with these vehicles and the sensors are very sensitive on earlier models. I'm not sure why mine is on, I did not get the brakes done recently, but that is the most common reason for the problem due to our wonderfully engineered front break system. The only way to scan for codes is with a tech 2 scanner which is wonderful. I may just replace both of my abs sensors rather than pay someone to figure out which one is the problem. They're only 40$ a piece. You shouldn't need to replace the whole hub, just replace the sensor or sensors.

ABS and Speed Wheel Sensors
Passenger side (RH) Front wheel sensor, GM# 15176998, Price $40.00
Driver side (LH) Front wheels sensor, GM# 15176997, Price $40.00

Also if you haven't found it already via google consult this thread:
How To: Diagnose and Repair an "ABS FAULT" - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

MikesTB

Mar 2, 2013
I had the same problem and when the abs would kick in it would be hard to stop sometimes I just replaced the entire hub bearing with a moog part it came with new sensor. I had no other abs issues after that.

WEMac

May 16, 2013
As far as I have been told. If you are to replace the ABS sensor, you have to replace the hub assem. For it is all together. I had to replace my D/S hub and it came with the sensor. They look like they are melted together. It takes a hand getting the new one in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online