Aarkon's Build Thread

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
I finally finished my brakelight after reading blckshdws article I colormatched mine and I love it heres photos of the process
ypa8e5uq.jpg
egutaha4.jpg
a9uzuvy8.jpg
my5e9e7y.jpg
vazy3e4y.jpg
5yha4uge.jpg
zabypapy.jpg

Reactions: GMCRick

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
It was good until I had a fight with the glass hatch to get it shut I cant wait to delete it and thank you this is the first thing ive ever done anything with cutting a light open im in love with it now :biggrin:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I love this easy mod. LED 3rd brake looks way better over OE and compliments your LED tail lights :thumbsup:

Luckily the IPCW 3rd brake light I ordered came in black so that saved me some time.

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Thanks man now im just waiting on my hids to go with the switchbacks and I never saw that light where did u find it

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I did a google search for IPCW Bermuda black 3rd brake light and ended up finding it on Amazon.com. I have the IPCW Bermuda black LED tail lights and wanted to find a LED 3rd brake light that matched.

It was more expensive than others though. It ran me $120.

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Dang lol im a cheapskate and only spent 50 $ total on this light excluding the labor but I did buy the same grill you have for $115

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Yeah I had saved up for it plus it saved me from tearing it apart and painting. Yours definitely turned out great.

I love the Spec-D grille. I was bored with the stock grille. I did not like the billet inserts and I even changed my bowtie to an aluminum one. I think I have about $140 including the paint I bought.

Did you paint your grille or leave it all black?

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
I havent got it yet ill get it in a few days im hoping its close to my stock paint so I dont have to do anything

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Id be so happy if it matched :biggrin: otherwise :thumbup: i still have paint leftover

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Daaamn that looks good :2thumbsup::salivate:

I went another route withe 3rd brake light as well. I bought some red taillight vinyl and cut out to proper shape and measurement. Then applied it and it's been holding up and matches perfectly.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree:

Looks awesome. Wait until your drive at night. It is literally night and day between halogens and HIDs.

Make you you aim your headlights properly to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. I had to aim my down slightly.

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Im gonns adjust them as soon as it gets dark cause I just put in clear aftermarket foglights a couple days ago

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
HIDs in the fog lights makes a huge difference as well. Post some night shots if you get the chance.

What kelvin is your HID bulbs?

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Ill post some tonight and I went with the 6000k's cause I prefer the pure white. I had silverstar zxes before this

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Usually with HIDs 6000k has a very light blue tint to them and 5000k are pure white. The color will vary based on the manufacturer of the HID bulbs.

If you google kelvin scale it will show you the color spectrum and what kelvin the color correspondes with. 4300k is the brightest color as it is the closest to natural light. The higher you go up in the Kelvin scale with HIDs, the lower the lumen output of the bulb. 4300k HID bulb is right around 3200 lumens.

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Ya ur right I forgot I got the diamond white and the plain white was 5000k

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
9are9u7u.jpg
2e4e4y5e.jpg

I just took some quick pics but my visability has tripled I cant believe I never did this before!

Reactions: kjkim93

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Aarkon said:
9are9u7u.jpg
2e4e4y5e.jpg

I just took some quick pics but my visability has tripled I cant believe I never did this before!

wish these trucks came with projectors like my gfs outlander did... I would def put in hids then...

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Talk to smitty5150 he does retrofits im gonna have him do mine eventually

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Aarkon said:

Those 6k look good. Looks pure white to me. Like I said, literally a night and day difference between halogens and HIDs. You definitely at least tripled the light output being that a standard halogen only puts out 900-1000 lumens. Your HID bulb is around 3000 lumens.

coolasice said:
wish these trucks came with projectors like my gfs outlander did... I would def put in hids then...

Projectors are awesome. Have you looked into doing a projector retrofit? I was happy with HIDs in the stocking housing, but after installing a projector, light output is phenomenal.

I went through HID Illusionz out of Brooklyn, Ny. Rich is the owner and does amazing work. Here is their site, www.hidillusionz.com. They actually have a sale going on right now, $450 for all parts and labor. Also includes a lifetime warranty. All of their projectors and HID kits come from The Retrofit Source which is a great company out of Atlanta, Ga. The sale is for the Morimoto 6.0 H1 bi-xenon projector.

Reactions: kjkim93

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Does anyone know if the onstar antenna is just taped on or is there also a wire going through the roof?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Aarkon said:
Does anyone know if the onstar antenna is just taped on or is there also a wire going through the roof?

If you're talking about the sharks fin...wire through the roof IIRC.

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
But on a good note I ordered my rear drop and it should be here tomorrow!!!

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
I know I want it paint matched and im asking for full tint for my bday

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Aarkon said:
9are9u7u.jpg

Is this with just lows and fogs??? Looks pretty sick man! I cant believe i havent seen this thread before today, lol.. I gonna have to check em out next time im up in the dsm area. :thumbsup:

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Aarkon said:
Ya just lows and fogs im debating doing the quad beams

ma7a6aqu.jpg

Even though I still have stock halogens.. the six high is amazing for the good ole 2 lane driving at nite.. I'm waiting for another month or so to get the hids... gonna do hids in all 6 I think..

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Midnyteryder02 said:
Even though I still have stock halogens.. the six high is amazing for the good ole 2 lane driving at nite.. I'm waiting for another month or so to get the hids... gonna do hids in all 6 I think..

Don't bother with the HID's in the high's...the warm up time isn't worth the hassle. Get a good set of HIR's or incandescents.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Matt said:
Don't bother with the HID's in the high's...the warm up time isn't worth the hassle. Get a good set of HIR's or incandescents.

Better yet buy a set of 9005 LED headlights from DFWWIZ, a member here. No warm up time. He posted a pic of his brights on and it is amazing for four SMDs.

Aarkon

Original poster
Nov 6, 2013
Ive been unsure about the leds ive heard they areny very bright does anyone have them yet?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have heard and seen the same thing, but DFWWIZ some new LED headlights that are very bright. He has a picture of his LED hi beams on in the Reputable HID Distributer thread. His LED headlights look legit and claim they are 3600 lumen which is 400-600 higher than HIDs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online