NEED HELP A4wd works but 4hi and 4lo dont.

Steve0584

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Thorp, Wi.
Hello everyone! I just joined and im in need of some assistance.
Ok so my tb has an issue that ive been searching on forums for awhile now.
I can be in 2wd with no problems, i switch to a4wd and the selector switch blinks a bit then goes right to a4wd. In the snow i spin a little and instantly i can feel the transfer case engage the cluthes to power the front wheels.
However... When i select 4wd the light blinks a few second then stays lit on 4wd indicating its in but no power goes to the front. At a stop in nuetral ill switch to 4lo and the indicator blinks then stays lit in 4lo as well and i can hear the transfer case shift to 4lo and confirm it by driving it that its in low but still no power to the front wheels.
Now with the tb completely off the ground and koeo i shift it to a4wd from 2wd and i can hear the front actuator kick in and the transfer case make a little adjustment. Now going to 4hi the transfer case makes another adjustment but going under the car in drive i can stop the front driveshaft from turning as if the encoder motor isnt holding the clutch pack tight to direct power to the front. This also goes the same for 4lo and it does shift as i described before. And i know the front actuator is engaged in all positions but obviously 2wd because i can turn the front driveshaft manually and the front wheels turn even with resistance from having someone hold the brakes.
Im sorry if this is a long read and i do appreciate any help that can be given.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
The transfer case relies on the Encoder Brake (back end of encoder motor) to hold the Front Axle clutch "engaged" while in 4HI or 4LO.
During A4WD the Encoder engages the Front by using the clutch as needed with the Brake released (that is working).
I would say the Brake on the Encoder has failed.
The Brake also holds the Neutral/HI/LO shifting, so brake failures occasionally allow the Transfer Case to slip into Neutral unexpectedly during 2WD operation.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Steve0584

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Thorp, Wi.
oh ok that makes alot of sense actually. I wondered how the encoder motor held the position to keep the clutches engaged with out contstantly keeping the motor powered all the time. I did not know there was a brake I uilt into it. I had taken it off before and turned the shaft that goes into the transfer case and noticed that i can manually engage the clutches but as soon as i let off pressure the cluthes release. Looks like some online shopping tonight. I really appreciate it. First person to ever reply and not go straight to (oh your transfer case is shot) lol.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls