A Wide Variety of Scan Tools over at OBD FOX (AliExpress)

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
After having a recent, completely satisfying buying experience with OBD FOX via AliExpress... I would recommend visiting their site for all kinds of On Board Diagnostic Equipment at very Reasonable Prices, Fast S&H and Good Customer Service and Follow Ups... THIS place is worth looking over if you are in the market for practically anything in the genre... and right now... they are running a Sale on the GM Tech-II Complete Kits for only $299.00 (You still need to purchase the CD Set and USB Dongle for around $12.00 for your SW Install):

https://obdfox.aliexpress.com/store/608229

Last edited:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
How did the Tech-II work out for you? I am currently looking into buying one of the Tech-II's, as I see that the new GM MDI only goes back to 2010 models. Does anyone know if the MDI will go back any further than 2010?

Does the Tech-II also program the PCM and are there any other bi-directional scanners that can also program the PCM?

I'm still a little torn between the Tech-II and some of the newer Android scan tool. I really want a bi-directions scan tool for troubleshooting. I just haven't found any of the "other" scan tools that offer anything better than the Tech-II, besides a touch screen, which is a huge selling point.

I currently have a BlueDriver OBD2 scanner, which is great for letting me know what could be going wrong. Myself, as I'm sure a lot people on here can't always get physical help with repairs. Which is why I really need the bi-directional.

The funniest troubleshooting moment, is when I was trying to listen to see if I could hear the fuel pump prime. Turn the key on and a quick run back to the fuel tank cap and then under the vehicle. I did that three times and finally called the GF outside. She was already laughing at me as she walked out. She was watching the entire time from the front window. :crackup:

I have a pressure gauge, but figured listening would be easier/quicker. Learned my lesson on that one, lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Having had the Tech 2 for quite a while now, I can definitely say that it is THE tool to have for these trucks and other GM vehicles. However, there is a caveat. It can do everything, including programming all modules and PCM up to 2007 with the included Tis2000 software. It can also program as a passthrough by getting an ACDelco SPS subscription for $40/VIN for 2008 to 2014 vehicles. It can do scanning and all diagnostic functions up to 2014 without a subscription. Beyond 2014, it's dead in the water since GM went with the new GMLan after that.

Read through the Tech 2 section for more info.

Reactions: Capote

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Thanks Mooseman! I'll definitely be going with the Tech-II then. I was kinda leaning in that direction anyway. Sometimes you just need some reassurance when it comes to a bigger dollar purchase.

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you decide to use the TECH2 Platform...

This is the latest offer from AliExpress.com that comes with a Carry Case… other offers online... also from various Chinese Vendors ...will arrive in a Cardboard Container. From personal experience… having the Carry Case is a real boon… and worth the extra money. Shipping and Handling are still Free.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...d6-42fc-abe5-894c45248afd&transAbTest=ae803_5

You WILL require a USB “Hawk” (HWK… Hard Ware Key) in order to perform PASS-THRU and Bi-Directional Communication...or follow @Mooseman ‘s Instructions for using a SOFTWARE KEY CRACK instead.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...B_20190123182807&SearchText=tech+2+usb+dongle

This thread covers a great deal more fine grain details discussing all other aspects of using this “GYMKO” Kit.

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/new-complete-kit-gymko-gm-tech-2-scan-tool.17878/page-5

Please be advised that while these TECH-2 Kits were a bit less expensive when this Thread was first posted... of late... the "Tariff Tiff" has prompted the rise in the cost of these Units. Even so... You will NOT be disappointed once you have the Kit... Thanks to @Mooseman 's perspicacity... He started gathering and organizing lots of information along with many other GMTN participating Members' Threads to consult with about "The GYMKO" TECH2 Kit.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online