A Whole Mess of Issues (Electrical or Computer)

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
For starters, I have an '05 TB LS.

I had been running into the power fluctuation issue, I did my homework, and did the following

http://gmtnation.com/f17/what-did-you-do-your-gmt-today-822/index50.html#post53031
http://gmtnation.com/f17/what-did-you-do-your-gmt-today-822/index52.html#post54180

Did the Throttle Body, and Replaced the Secondary Air Check Valve (P0410 code).

Things were ok for a short while, then power fluctuations began again. Not only did power dip down, but on several occasions my power cut out completely while driving, car appeared to "reset" then power came back on. Not sure it this was an Alternator issue.

Now, I have noticed that sometimes when I go out to my vehicle, put the key in the ignition, there is no power at all. I go, check the battery, all connections appear fine, and randomly power is restored and I can drive.

Today I hit my remote to unlock the truck, it did the first unlock, then nothing (could not unlock the other doors). I opened the drivers door, never even put the key in the ignition, and saw the truck "reset".

After this LAST issue this morning, my radio (Head Unit) operates, I have sound going through my sub and speakers, the power light shows the HU as being on, but the display to the HU is blank.

I was initially just pissed I was having issues, but now I am concerned for my safety having either electrical issues, or a computer issue.

Thoughts, what it might be, solutions?

Thanks in advance guys!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It can't be an alternator issue, because the battery can run the vehicle just fine for quite a while.

The ignition switch is notoriously unreliable, and can explain all those symptoms. Cheap to replace. There's an article around here someplace.

Have you ever changed it before?

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
the roadie said:
It can't be an alternator issue, because the battery can run the vehicle just fine for quite a while.

The ignition switch is notoriously unreliable, and can explain all those symptoms. Cheap to replace. There's an article around here someplace.

Have you ever changed it before?

Roadie to the rescue as usual! I have had this vehicle just shy of 2 years, and I have never replaced that part. I do remember seeing that item mentioned in other threads/a thread, but my technical knowledge if vehicles is severely limited, and didn't cross my mind anyway.

I will report back after replacing it!!!

Thanks for the quick reply!!

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Zapp Brannigan said:
For starters, I have an '05 TB LS.

Today I hit my remote to unlock the truck, it did the first unlock, then nothing (could not unlock the other doors). I opened the drivers door, never even put the key in the ignition, and saw the truck "reset".

Thanks in advance guys!!

In the case that there is no power at all at times (without touching the Ignition switch), I would go back and first suspect Battery connections, then other Power and Ground connections and finally the Battery itself.

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
After-market HU? You get lights on the HU and power/sounds to the sub & speakers but no display on the HU? Sounds like there's an issue in your wiring if it's aftermarket...
I had an Alpine HU that needed 2 power leads, one in the factory harness and a second fused lead to either the battery or fuse block. I hooked it into my power window fuse as I didn't have power windows...it caused a bunch of weird issues similar to yours. I ended up having to go direct to the battery.

That's where I'd look first before tackling an ignition switch.

Zapp Brannigan

Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
pejeeper said:
After-market HU? You get lights on the HU and power/sounds to the sub & speakers but no display on the HU? Sounds like there's an issue in your wiring if it's aftermarket...
I had an Alpine HU that needed 2 power leads, one in the factory harness and a second fused lead to either the battery or fuse block. I hooked it into my power window fuse as I didn't have power windows...it caused a bunch of weird issues similar to yours. I ended up having to go direct to the battery.

That's where I'd look first before tackling an ignition switch.

Where are you in Dutchess?? Lets just say I am "very" close!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online