A little taller tire for towing? 2002 Envoy. 3.42 ration

c good

I'm going to be buying new tires I've had the stock size 245/65/17 now. I recently purchased a small travel trailer. Geo Pro G14FK. It weighs around 3000 lbs fully loaded. I've only towed it a couple of times for test runs. Envoy pulls it fine but I keep it in 3rd as has been recommended. It tachs out around 2500 rpm at 63-65 mph. Would it be worth adding a little width and height to the new tires? I don't want to modify or put in spacers. I've read that the 265/65/17 is about the largest tire I can run in stock configuration. Only 1/2 inch taller. Thanks for any input. Cam (c good)

TequilaWarrior

Taller tires would result in a higher final gear ratio... typically for towing it is recommended to have a lower final gear ratio to increase horsepower and torque.

Matt

Silver Supporter
I'm going to be buying new tires I've had the stock size 245/65/17 now. I recently purchased a small travel trailer. Geo Pro G14FK. It weighs around 3000 lbs fully loaded. I've only towed it a couple of times for test runs. Envoy pulls it fine but I keep it in 3rd as has been recommended. It tachs out around 2500 rpm at 63-65 mph. Would it be worth adding a little width and height to the new tires? I don't want to modify or put in spacers. I've read that the 265/65/17 is about the largest tire I can run in stock configuration. Only 1/2 inch taller. Thanks for any input. Cam (c good)
I run the 265/65R17 and they'll lower your MPG even more and throw your speedo off by about 2 mph faster than indicated.

OP
C

c good

Lower my MPG? I'm thinking it might help with MPG...but lower my RPM. I'm just wondering if it will help me tow in 4th/O.D. ? Or just keep it in 3rd and lower RPM a little.

Chickenhawk

The secret to towing is to keep the RPMs up and just live with whatever gas mileage you get.

This is why we recommend towing in 3rd unless the trailer is way under 1000 pounds. Low RPMs kill motors and transmissions, and raises heat levels while towing. Going up slopes means keeping it in the 2500 RPM area, and that might mean even downshifting to 2 upon occasion. You're fine. Save your money, and tow in 3rd.

OP
C

c good

Thanks Chickenhawk for the excellent info. So probably best to just stay with the stock 245/65/17 tires then?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone2U

Secure Browsing

Top Bottom