A little help w/ Silverado tailgate

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
So my dad just called me and wanted to know if i had any idea's on how to fix his tailgate.. what he explained to me is that it closes just fine but the latche's on both sides of the gate will not stay with tennision on them to keep it closed.. i did a quick search at oriley's auto parts and cant find any info for these.. so my question is does anyone have any idea's on how to fix this problem.. i said to get a new tailgate but he was less than impressed with my response... lol... any help would be appreciated and thanks!!
:undecided::undecided::undecided:

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
So my dad just called me and wanted to know if i had any idea's on how to fix his tailgate.. what he explained to me is that it closes just fine but the latche's on both sides of the gate will not stay with tennision on them to keep it closed.. i did a quick search at oriley's auto parts and cant find any info for these.. so my question is does anyone have any idea's on how to fix this problem.. i said to get a new tailgate but he was less than impressed with my response... lol... any help would be appreciated and thanks!!
:undecided::undecided::undecided:

oh yea.. i should say it's a 2004 silverado 1500.. z71

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I have a 97 Sierra and it did the same thing. Not sure if the NBS pickups are exactly the same, but lube up the latches on the left & right side of the tailgate with WD-40 or white lithium grease. Then, at the handle, pop the trim piece off and you should be able to see how the handle works. When you pull the handle, it squeezes these two finger-looking things that pull the rod that pull the latches on the left & right side. Lube the pivot point of the two finger-looking things with the rods attached and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Is there a removable inspection plate on the inside of the gate?

If there is, remove it and as, stated above, lube all the pivot points.

Also, make sure the spring/s are in place and unbroken.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online