A little bet....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hubby says just the heads on the 4.2 I6 are aluminum......

I say the whole block is aluminum.......

Can someone elaborate on this for us please?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The whole thing is aluminum.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Sparky said:
The whole thing is aluminum.

Thank you Sparky!!

Now, question 2

Will our metal bolts we used to replace the water pump cause an interaction with the aluminum block?

Cooztwo

May 17, 2012
Steel bolts in contact with the aluminum block can cause intergranular corrosion if an electolyte is present (liquid). This is a severe form of corrosion as it gets into the grains of the metal and exfoliates (turns to a whitish powder). The steel may rust a bit but I believe the aluminum will corrode more than the steel. Check out the link.
http://www.corrosionist.com/galvanic_corrosion_chart.htm

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Cooztwo said:
Steel bolts in contact with the aluminum block will cause intergranular corrosion if an electolyte is present (liquid). This is a severe form of corrosion as it gets into the grains of the metal and exfoliates (turns to a whitish powder).

So we should be okay then, unless of course I blow another water pump and have liquid seepage?

(I tend to need explanations in kindergarten form lol I'm still extremely new to mechanics) :biggrin:

Cooztwo

May 17, 2012
the gaskets and seals used do a good job at keeping the liquid out or in which ever way you want to look at it. I'm sure you'll have traded, sold or otherwise moved on before there is anything to worry about. Most bolts have a coating that prevents or at least inhibits the corrosion process.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Cooztwo said:
the gaskets and seals used do a good job at keeping the liquid out or in which ever way you want to look at it. I'm sure you'll have traded, sold or otherwise moved on before there is anything to worry about. Most bolts have a coating that prevents or at least inhibits the corrosion process.

Thank you!!!

That explanation was a lot better for my small brain to wrap around lol.

The engine is an entirely new species for me, other stuff isn't as complicated for me to interpret as I understand how they work for the most part. I'm still doing my reading and research on the big silver thing under the hood :wink:

Cooztwo

May 17, 2012
I didn't notice before but I see you are in Iowa, I'll go out on a limb and say, from a corrosion stand point, that I'd be more worried about the winter salt on the roads than a water pump.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Cooztwo said:
I didn't notice before but I see you are in Iowa, I'll go out on a limb and say, from a corrosion stand point, that I'd be more worried about the winter salt on the roads than a water pump.

We use sand here, no salt. We're to cheap lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Cooztwo said:
Have you read about my issue yet? #2 cylinder wet

Yeah, I have been reading it, but it's hard for me to follow as I am still very new to the mechanics of an engine. I'm learning though, or at least trying to anyways lol

I hope everything works out for you!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.