A dumb drainage question.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Well it's not cold enough for the AC (as a matter of fact I have the heat on!) but the drain hose next to the ac hoses on the firewall is dripping especially after a rain. It leads me to believe there are leaves and crud getting in. Is it difficult to remove the cowling (assuming that's what the vents below the windshield are called) to clean it out? Plus I'm assuming it drains through there as well.

(It rained last night and didn't start dripping till tonight, this is why I think there is crud in there. Probably shifted when I turned a corner lol)

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
No it is not to hard to remove the cowling at all. Just unbolt the wiper arms and remove screws, clips what ever you find. Just take your time and god luck. There is a hose for the wiper washer that is in there just unhook it. The wipers if I remember are bolted on so just give them a shot of penetrating oil to help loosen them.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
before you tear into it, don't be so sure your ac compressor is not operating, even with the heat on. (esp if front defrost is on) automatic HVAC runs the AC to control humidity, which would capture more moisture from the air when it rains.

watch the A/C compressor pulley, if it is running, it will cycle off and on.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: First thing I thought of too.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
ok , no cycling on and off (so that's a good thing lol) I'll do the easiest and clean the drain to see if there is any crud. You know something? that makes a lot of sense. On our trip to Myrtle beach my feet were freezing because although everything was off, there was still cold air coming from the passenger side lower vents. I gonna open up the area where a cabin filter usually goes too and see if there is stuff in there. We live under huge maples and those little seed pods get into everything.
Thanks for the help.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Mrs Homer said:
ok , no cycling on and off (so that's a good thing lol) I'll do the easiest and clean the drain to see if there is any crud. You know something? that makes a lot of sense. On our trip to Myrtle beach my feet were freezing because although everything was off, there was still cold air coming from the passenger side lower vents. I gonna open up the area where a cabin filter usually goes too and see if there is stuff in there. We live under huge maples and those little seed pods get into everything.
Thanks for the help.

My condenser drain was plugged up and after it rained it would drip forever, huge puddles. I ended up to pull the rubber boot off and stick a 12" zip tie up the tube to free the crud. Until I read one off Roadie's responses I never knew the ac runs when in the defrost mode, I use to use the defrost mode most of the time so thats probably why I had so much dripping.

And ya I know what you mean, 4 and a half Maple trees here and tons of those PITA seed pods...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online