DEAL A/C Tools at Harbor Freight

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With all the A/C questions we're being bombarded with, figured that these could be useful for diagnosing A/C problems for anyone who's serious about working on A/C.

On sale with coupon:
A/C R134A Manifold Gauge Set

On sale:
Air Vacuum Pump with R134A and R12 Connectors
If refilling an empty system or one that was opened for repairs, you have to evacuate the air and moisture. For $18, can't go wrong.

On sale:
Electronic Freon and Halogen Leak Detector
I have and used this same detector to help me find the leak in my evaporator. Very useful.

Here's a link to the online flyer for the coupon for the gauge set.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Good find! For anyone who might be on the fence about this - my work was $139.95 just to hook up gauges and stick a thermometer in one of the dash vents. The gauge set will pay for itself the first time that you use it. These gauges are more accurate then those crappy gauge/can combos that you see at autozone or whatever.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i have 2 of those sets already lol

FYI the quick-connect car fittings are detachable so you can use it on home systems too. Except for small ductless splits, need a $12 adapter for those.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Since I can't edit to add content....

I have all the tools, just not the skills on how to use them. I am searching for a tech guide because I know one of the top dawgs was going to write something up. I remember the comment in a post on an ailing AC system, but I don't remember who said it.

1. Hook up connections
  2. take readings for high and low pressures
  3. write down outside air temp
  4. Start a thread giving the information
  5. the answers will start posting to the screen
Seems legit.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
You mostly just need to watch the low side temp. Depending on the ambient temp is how much pressure you want. It seems strange but on the low side you pressure is also you temperature. You never want it below 32°. If it's 80° outside you are looking for something like 40° or psi on the cold side. You pretty much are looking for 40° below ambient but never lower than 36-38°/psi. Also you want to see pretty high numbers between low and high side. If your at 40° cold side, you should be seeing around 350-375 psi on the hot side. If it's only like 100 psi difference the compressor is weak and needs to be replaced. There is a lot more to it, but that should get you going :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online