A/C question and rant about Firestone Complete Autocare

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Lately the temps here in Dallas have been over 100[SUP]o[/SUP], and of course the A/C can't keep up. It takes 10-15 minutes for it to start cooling on the front A/C, but the rear A/C cools almost immediately. I had a coupon for cheap A/C inspection at Firestone, and they told me that I had a pinhole leak in the condenser.

Here's my questions:

I know that the front and rear have separate condensers, but they're both feed by the same compressor, so wouldn't a leak in front also depressurize the back and it wouldn't cool either?
Or are they somehow isolated idk, via a one-way valve?

Okay here's the rant:

I know Firestone is only good for tires and alignments (barely), and they want to screw you on everything else, but there's not enough lube in the world that I would let them screw me this bad and allow them to replace the condenser. Here's a partial breakdown of what they wanted to charge me, partial only because I stopped them after the first few quotes.

Condenser $450 (because it comes straight from AC/Delco?)
Accumulator ???
2.6 lbs of R134 ???
Labor $387
Total $1256 !!!!!:mad::hissyfit:

Went on Rockauto and here's the approximate prices they had:
Condenser $100 (Genuine A/C delco)
Accumalator $80
R134 $14.99 lb x 2.6 = 38.97 (from O'Reilly's)
Total $218.97
Plus Firestone Labor $605 total out the door

I calculate that as about a 400% markup on the parts, that's worse than a stealership I think. Also when I got it back there was no freon in it. When I brought it in it at least worked partially.

Screw Firestone, I don't think I'll use them again no matter how much their tires are on sale

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
AFAIK, there is only one condenser (the one in front of the radiator).
If there was a hole in that the freon would leak out and neither front nor back would work.
The mechanic(?) may have checked for freon by pushing the valve to let some spray out (not legal).
If the freon was low to begin with, it may now be too low to allow the compressor to engage.

Your original problem may have been a blend door not working, allowing warm air in.
Look for some place that specializes in AC.
Good luck.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
AFAIK, there is only one condenser (the one in front of the radiator).

Thanks, you're absolutely right, I forgot my A/C basics 101. There's 2 evaporators, only 1 condenser.

I was starting to think it was an actuator. I'm definitely going to another place for a second opinion. I'll just keep pumping in the freon as needed until then.

Edit:
Wooluf1952 said:
If the freon was low to begin with, it may now be too low to allow the compressor to engage.

Yep, I checked it as soon as I left Firestone, the compressor wasn't engaging. I went to O'reilly's and charged it with a 20 oz can of freon so at least I have some cool air.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Franchise places like Firestone are entirely dependent on the culture and ethics at the location brought by the manager. But for some strange reason, Firestone seems to MOSTLY hire scumbags and crooks as managers, if the BBB and Yelp reports I read are accurate.

Always read local BBB and Yelp reports before using any mechanic, and be very, very skeptical about franchise places like Firestone, Midas, Meinike, and the like.

$900 for a tie rod end and a couple of end links are not unheard of quotes when owners go in for a simple alignment.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
They were nice enough to bump up the credit limit on my Firestone card to cover the rape-air, (oops, I mean repair).

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Why would anyone even HAVE a Firestone credit card?!?!?!

Probably 29% APR. :confused:

Seriously? Cut it up, cancel it, and improve your credit score. Surely you would never USE it unless you have totally crappy credit and no hope of getting any from a legitimate provider.

How did they even get your permission to increase your credit limit? If that resulted in a hard pull on your credit file, your score is going to go DOWN! :hissyfit:

c good

Dec 8, 2011
If one evaporator is getting cold, then should both be getting cold. It sounds like you have an actuator or blend door problem as you suspect. c good

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
Thanks, you're absolutely right, I forgot my A/C basics 101. There's 2 evaporators, only 1 condenser.

I was starting to think it was an actuator. I'm definitely going to another place for a second opinion. I'll just keep pumping in the freon as needed until then.

Edit:

Yep, I checked it as soon as I left Firestone, the compressor wasn't engaging. I went to O'reilly's and charged it with a 20 oz can of freon so at least I have some cool air.

IMHO,
Until you get the entire system leak-free and filled properly (evacuated and filled) I would not be changing any other parts.
Most Dual-zone and in your case "Triple-zone" systems operate less than normally when low on freon.

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Why would anyone even HAVE a Firestone credit card?!?!?!

Probably 29% APR. :confused:

I used it to buy 4 tires, 0% interest introductory rate and 10% off first purchase, so it saved me $70. Haven't used it since the promo period ended. It was a soft pull on the credit report.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've been really happy with my Firestone tires but I've read enough about their stores to not let them touch my vehicle for anything :no:

shadiBLebz

Apr 19, 2012
Awesome question bro. I'm learning about this my self I changed the compressor/pump. Whichever my belt spins on haha ya like I said learning. I'm probably changing my blend door actuator with the next month and filling up my freon from empty. What would that cost me?

As for those tire places I took mine to fountain tire word is my company get discounts ya no these guys don't give it. Popped in for an allignment. Next I'm being given a quote of 1599 140hr labour and parts like wtf:lipsrsealed:

Dad-O-Matic

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
shadiBLebz said:
filling up my freon from empty. What would that cost me?

If Firestone can be believed, it needs 2.6 lbs of Freon, or $14.99 lb x 3 = $44.97 (on sale at O'Reilly's).

I got a couple of cans of this stuff Interdynamics ACP100 - R-134a Refrigerant on sale and it's doing much better, though not perfect. Since I can live with it, I'll wait to have a real mechanic check it out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online