A/C issue

05 lt ext

Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
i have a 2005 TB lt ext , my A/C really struggles to put out cold air when it is very hot/humid outside, when temp cools down it does fairly well. i put in a new compressor last year , work good then, this year struggles when its hot . i have put in a can of freon , still has a hard time. i have noticed the the drivers side is cool and passenger is cold when this is happening. i have done the reset procedure thinking something is going on with actuators but nothing really changes to the good. the only thing that helps is the outside temp cooling down. please help ...:redface:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If the driver's side can't get as cool as the passenger's side, then it could be the temp actuator, debris, or it's even been reported that an inaccurate refrigerant fill could be the cause.

Adding a can of refrigerant without checking pressure is not a scientific way to troubleshoot. I always recommend visiting a professional for a pressure test, evacuation, leak test, and calibrated refill unless you have the tools and training.

Does the receiver/drier feel chilly or frosty? Can you measure its temp? (It's the silver can on the passenger side of the firewall.)

EXTs love to develop leaks in the long tubes going to the rear.

05 lt ext

Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
the reciever is hot / warm when struggling and cool when a/c is doing good. 2 years ago we had an o ring leaking in the rear a/c dealer fixed for $285 , good thing we had an extended warranty.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
When you put the compressor in, did you change the drier/accumulator and the orifice tube? The drier is a closed filter that you wouldn't normally change unless you have the system serviced. They become saturated and ineffective over time causing the A/C to seem like its struggling when its really hot out. I replaced mine when the compressor was changed, and wow, what a difference in the temperature of the air blowing out of the vents.

05 lt ext

Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
i changed the orifice tube not the drier. 85 degrees out today low humidity air ran great . go figure!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Get it checked out. I had a slow leak and had to keep refilling it this year. Also had hot air coming out both left vents.

The accumulator was hot all the time. The shop told me I had too much 134a in it and it was full of moisture plus a leaking switch.

Also, I have heard if there is too much oil in the lines the accumulator will get hot as well.

Also if there is too much 134a in the system you can damage the compressor by introducing liquid into it. I think its called slugging the compressor.

05 lt ext

Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
after some checking when i replaced the compressor i did replace the accumulator and orifice tube . so far for the past 2 days low temps outside and a/c does great . cold air from all vents.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
One of the reasons I recommend against home diagnoses without a pressure test, followed by throwing a can of r134a into the system willy-nilly without understanding deeply if it needs more.

Well my home AC tech told me once that you should never loose pressure/refrigerant in such a closed system. If you do then you have a leak.

neelskit

Dec 7, 2011
05 lt ext said:
after some checking when i replaced the compressor i did replace the accumulator and orifice tube . so far for the past 2 days low temps outside and a/c does great . cold air from all vents.

Like The Roadie said, get the system pressure checked, and I don't mean with the "AutoMart low-good-high" gauge. Get a real manifold gauge set put on the system. (high and low-side gauges) Cheaper to have a shop do it as the gauge set is about $100. Sounds to me like the system is over-charged which will lead to compressor damage if left uncorrected.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
neelskit said:
Like The Roadie said, get the system pressure checked, and I don't mean with the "AutoMart low-good-high" gauge. Get a real manifold gauge set put on the system. (high and low-side gauges) Cheaper to have a shop do it as the gauge set is about $100. Sounds to me like the system is over-charged which will lead to compressor damage if left uncorrected.

AC gauges are only $44 at harbor freight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online