A/C Blower not working.

swille

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Hi everyone:smile: Im new to this forum and like all who join I have problems.
Ok here we go! Everything was working fine came home when we got ready to leave again several issues poped up (1) A/C BLOWER quit working on all speeds
(2) ABS light came on and wont go off
(3)Brake light on dash come on too and wont go off
I disconnected the battery trying to reset the system and checked all fuses (under the hood and under the seat)they were all good. I bought a blower resister and changed it out. Rconnected battery and all problems still there.

any help would be great THANKS,

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
swille said:
Hi everyone:smile: Im new to this forum and like all who join I have problems.
Ok here we go! Everything was working fine came home when we got ready to leave again several issues poped up (1) A/C BLOWER quit working on all speeds
(2) ABS light came on and wont go off
(3)Brake light on dash come on too and wont go off
I disconnected the battery trying to reset the system and checked all fuses (under the hood and under the seat)they were all good. I bought a blower resister and changed it out. Rconnected battery and all problems still there.

any help would be great THANKS,

Ok this is off the top of my head and I studied the electrical diagram but ... Since the blower circuitry runs off of the ignition power I would check into the ignition switch as a possible issue. Speeds 1-4 run exclusively off the ignition power and speed 5 is operated using ignition power to drive a 30 or 40 amp circuit which is enabled by the relay in the new resistor pack you got. :twocents:.

swille

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Ok this is off the top of my head and I studied the electrical diagram but ... Since the blower circuitry runs off of the ignition power I would check into the ignition switch as a possible issue. Speeds 1-4 run exclusively off the ignition power and speed 5 is operated using ignition power to drive a 30 or 40 amp circuit which is enabled by the relay in the new resistor pack you got. :twocents:.

Ok I talked to the wife and she said that the high speed (5) had been out for a while but any way there all out now. Do you think the ingnition is the culprit for the other problems as well?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
swille said:
Ok I talked to the wife and she said that the high speed (5) had been out for a while but any way there all out now. Do you think the ingnition is the culprit for the other problems as well?

It could be that. Or the head unit.Or any wiring inbetween those components. Also could be a bad blower motor. I would check for power at the motor and work your way back.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Do you have a meter and some experience using it?

Check continuity on fuse #35 in the front for speed 5. Rear fuse #44, if bad, would kill all five speeds. A bad ground at the blower motor, or flaky wiring from the resistor pack to the blower motor could also cause the malfunction. The blower is powered off the RUN circuit from the ignition switch, and other functions would probably die if that was bad.

ABS and brake lights are typically a flaky ground lug under the carpet to the right of the center console. ABS alone might be a ground lug under the vehicle on the frame rail underneath the driver.

View attachment 20215

Attachments

• Converted_file_d03c47d4.jpg
    Converted_file_d03c47d4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 6

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
swille said:

5 being out alone means you have either a blown fuse under the hood or the connector to the resistor pack is fried. You did replace the connector going to the resistor pack?

swille

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
CaptainXL said:
5 being out alone means you have either a blown fuse under the hood or the connector to the resistor pack is fried. You did replace the connector going to the resistor pack?

All fuses check out good and I did change the resistor pack. The harness looks good no hot spots. There is a red wire that has a constant 12 volts at the resistor but at the head unit ther is no power ther with the key on or off. Is that correct or should ther be power at the head unit? When I say head unit Im talking about the harness that plugs into the speed control. Thanks

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I would check the blower motor. Mine worked intermittently at first, then it would only work on low, and then it finally went out.

swille

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
the roadie said:
There should be power on three wires on the head unit. One orange is 12V all the time. The other two are brown, and hot when the ignition key is in the RUN mode only.

Ok so there should be three wire that come off the head unit wire. I'll check this afternoon.

Voymom said:
I would check the blower motor. Mine worked intermittently at first, then it would only work on low, and then it finally went out.

I pulled the blower motor and checked it with straight 12 volt power and it works. Before I did this I checked with a meter to see if it was open. I was shop manager in a electric motor shop for 3 years before I quit them the owner was a friend and of course he screwed me over.

swille

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Ok guys I got the problem fixed. Sorry it has taken so long to get back but I just now got the time to work on it. It was the switch just like you guys said. Thanks for help. I was Tryin to post pics from my phone to show what I found one of the Contacts was melted on the side that has three tabs.

Also Roadie you think there might be an app soon for the phone?Thanks again for the help!!:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amri

Members Online