DEAL $99 With Free S&H 230 Piece Craftsman Tool Kit

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Whether you are just getting started as a Mechanic... or a Seasoned Wrencher who could just use a few more Tools in the Ol' Tool Chest... You could do a lot worse than pick up this 230 Piece Craftsman Tool kit for only $99.00 and with Free S&H:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-230-...D=11042411&utm_medium=551655_552179_11042411#

Complete Component List and Descriptions:

http://i.sears.com/s/d/pdf/mp-tc/spinpdf/spin_prod_1116448012

spin_prod_1191413012

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And the clearance sales begin....

Reactions: Mounce

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'd wait for the field trip. Although when it gets out, expect a rush at the start.

Hand tools ONLY, and if you get socket sets, get the ones with stamped size indicators. The hi-viz ones are screened (?) on, and when they rub off - nothing to show 'Craftsman' - and no more warranty.
(which will now be from Stanley / Black & Decker)

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Again... for the Young Mechanics just now trying to get grounded with the Basic Tools of the Trade... here is a Dual Set of (20) Ratcheting Box End Wrenches to add to that last Sale ...for under $60.00 with Free S&H:

However... THIS Sale turned out to be even less as the Sears Check-Out procedures added first a $3.00 Price Drop and then they took off another $10.95 in SYWR Points. So after all of that ... the final cost of this 20 Wrench, Dual SAE and Metric Set after Taxes was:

searsbargain.jpg

Hmmm... So I think this On-Line Procedure sure beats waiting... and then having to Drive to Sears and wander around ...trying to elbow other Bargain Seekers out of the way to get such a good deal. THIS is a the perfect example of how to get the most out of what Sears is offering their customers on line... God Only Knows how long they will keep doing it.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-20-p...ellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1#

spin_prod_1086816312

The problem with waiting for "The BBD" (The Bigger and Better Deal)... is that you can show up too late for The Party...and wind up staring at empty bins and mis-matched quality tools that will miss the point of striking while the iron is hot. If you already have Stuffed Tool Chests... you can afford to wait. But if your available tools will NOT be adequate to handle your needs for tackling regular repair jobs with the confidence building state of mind having these tools can give to you... Buying them and not losing an entire paycheck while doing so makes good sense. For these Members.. Waiting to get Quality Tools at these prices might make for missed opportunities.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its too bad the quality is not there to make these tools worth owning. I got a big chest full of Craftsman and use my Harbor freight stuff cause at least it finishes a job without breaking.

Reactions: m.mcmillen

mrrsm

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I don’t care what ANYBODY says… If these Tools were a Woman… I would NOT kick her out of Bed for Eating Crackers!!!

These Un-Boxing Images cover the two different but SWEET Sets of Craftsman Tools. The Big Set with 230 SAE & Metric Tools in a Classic Case that controls these from being misplaced or lost PERFECTLY cost me only $95.00 after Sears subtracted all kinds of $$$ and THAT was the First Nice Surprise. If you notice the Golden Hue on some of these Tools… thats the High Polished Chrome finish reflecting the sunlight coming through the living room curtains. My son will get these at the next opportunity that he comes by... I think they would fit nicely behind the seat of my 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 that he is using until the 2002 TB is up and running and the new Interior and Seats get installed. These tools they may just come in VERY handy from time to time.

The Second Set was a 20 Piece SAE & Metric set of Ratcheting Box End Wrenches that were On Sale at Sears.com for only $59..00 but once again... The Second Nice Surprise During Check-Out by the time Sears has subtracted for everything from "Bits to Baubles and Wands at Olivander's" it was a Steal at around $49.00 after Taxes. I just looked these over and you could NOT ask for more for your $$$… HF Eat your Heart Out!

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60dgrzbelow0/library/CRAFTSMANTOOLS?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Screw the look. They fail when needed. I have drawers full of their golden hued junk and use HF reliability with pleasure.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I like my husky set and matco ratchet and sockets... :rolleyes:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have 35 year old Crasftsman tools and they are beasts. One ratchet I bent while the ratcheting mechanism was intact. Like a lot of other businesses, they went down the dark path of going offshore to cut costs and it cost them.

I expect Sears as a whole to be gone by the end of the year.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Craftsman was good, but no more. With Sears dying it and the other good options available, I doubt CM is around too much longer itself.

I remember my first craftsman set and how it worked so well for years, but once I got one of the newer ratchets as a replacement for the original and then had to get another and another and another cause they are junk these days...I can't support them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just a reminder, the Craftsman name was bought out by Stanley tools. They will supposedly honour the warranty.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have had the ratcheting wrenches for awhile and they have been good, but I am pretty gentle on ratcheting wrenches. They are great for getting things snug, but then I tend to switch to a standard wrench to torque fully.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would use ratcheting wrenches just for backing that annoying to get to bolt out so I don't have to reseat the regular wrench constantly. Breaking stuff free with the ratcheting wrench could just be trouble. That said, I don't have any yet, though I want to get some. I could have used them so many times...

I keep thinking I need to go exchange another one of my craftsman ratchets - the 1/4" mechanism is sloppy and tends to just spin freely. I bought the set 50% off years ago when I had next to nothing and they've served me well so far, never broken a socket (although I've busted bolts off with them!), but they were the cheapest line they had and I have had a couple of the ratchets act funny and need changed out (the 1/2" would jam in one direction from day 1 so swapped it and no problems since, the 3/8" release started acting up and doesn't always let go of the socket, and the 1/4" ratchet is sloppy).

Thing is, their cheaper ones are roughly made, so they tend to bite into the hand a bit and they are very coarse ratchets and need a fair bit of swing. I'm thinking maybe I should just buy a better quality ratchet set that would be easier to use.

I keep pondering if their sales are worth buying more of their stuff though or not... For my usage they're probably OK, but, sometimes I wonder if I should just get the HF ratchets if they'd be any better. I'd love a nice set like from Snap On, but I don't want to take out a second mortgage just to buy a few wrenches lol. I do have a 3/8" long handle Snap On ratchet that I got from May03 that is the most amazing ratchet I've ever used lol.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I don't think I could've stated this any better. When I was younger, I started with Craftsman; they had a good rep, and it was easy to get warranty replacement (the only time I've ever had to exercise the warranty was for the 1/4" ratchet - and they gave me a new one instead of the 'rebuild kits' they hand out now).

Later, as time went on, I'd recognize how much play / slop was in the ratchets, the loose tolerances between the sockets / extensions / ratchets, etc. - especially if I was working with someone who had better quality tools. But for the prices paid, and easy availability to Sears, I stuck with them.

Then HF started making inroads here in Chicago Metro - and I bought a new home that was close to one of their stores. I remember my first visit - I was in tool heaven - all kinds of stuff, and probably 1/2 the price of Sears. Yes, it was all made in China, likely by people who were paid a pittance - but so was the 3/4 ton floor jack that I purchased at Sears that broke the second time I used it - and I couldn't return it. That's when I swore off anything Craftsman except the hand tools that carried the lifetime warranty.

As an aside, I purchased a heavier duty jack from HF; have had it for the better part of 10 years now, and it still works well.

Because of HF, I now have air tools & compressor. I would never have paid Sears' prices for the same equipment.

Now you have lines from Home Depot and Lowe's (Kobalt) that are guaranteed for life, and they're all over the place like Sears used to be.

Agree w/ you on the Snap-On stuff - great tools, but when a 3/8" ratchet costs > $100, and a code scanner is $800 - it's not priced for the home mechanic. I feel sorry for professional mechs who are in hock to Snap-On for $1000's because they can't keep away from the tool truck when it makes its monthly stop where they work. Granted, the better quality tools help them earn their living easier. But the old timers have learned not to step on board the tool truck too often.

Sears does sell a higher quality line of ratchets, but they're almost in Snap-On price territory. Meanwhile, I can get the new HF higher quality line for $18-$30 or so, and choose from the following:
- Composites, with 1/2 the weight of steel
- Telescoping, which increases leverage w/o having to change out to a breaker bar
- Swivel head, for odd angle work
- Combo 3/8 and 1/2 head (one on each side), saving time in swapping out ratchets.
And every one of them carries a no-questions asked lifetime warranty.

Finally, re: ratcheting wrenches - the two things I don't like about them, Sears' especially...
a) The ratcheting head tends to be too thick to maneuver in tighter places, and I wind up getting another tool to use (usually a socket) or swinging around to the open end.
b) They only come in 12-point, and I try not to use 12-point wrenches - while the wrench fits in a smaller degree of arc, you're more likely to round off a stuck fastener with a 12-point.

Sears does sell 6-point wrench sets in SAE & Metric. I think each is an 18pc set, drop-forged, and made in USA. THOSE are the ones to get when the clearance sales start, IMO. I love mine, and they're my go-to wrenches.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ratcheting wrenches are better off left at removing/installing already broken loose nuts and bolts. They can be useful in tight spots where sockets have no room.

Reactions: Tiggerr

rizzo20

I've owned a few Craftsman tools and always been pleased with them. I needed an organized set to keep in my Envoy since my rolling chest is in a storage garage and this set works out perfect. I never used ratcheting wrenches before but always thought it would nice to have a set. Thanks for the heads up on a good deal.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online