99 Suburban - R134a AC Connectors?

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I have a 99 Suburban. I have AC experience. I have an automotive manifold gauge set with 134A quick connect couplings. I have a vacuum pump and have charged other vehicles many times. This truck uses R134a and has the high side and low side connectors on top of the engine. The ports are right there - you can't miss them. The R134a quick couplers from my manifold gauge set do not fit ... they just don't fit.

The manifold gauge set has some dummy storage R134 ports on the side so you can store your quick connects and the hoses don't just hang. The couplers click right into those storage ports on the side of the manifold gauge set. So I know the couplers fit on ... properly sized R134 high side and low side ports.

I am at a complete loss. This is not a case where I am trying to put the low side connector onto the high side. I know the high side port is larger than the low side. I am trying to fit the high side coupler to the high side port and the low side coupler to the low side port. My manifold gauge set just does not fit.

These are adjustable couplers with knob that extends a pin - I have them seated fully counter clockwise so the pin is retracted. On the high side it's close - I pull back the ring on the coupler and it slides down onto the port but the coupler will not seat and the ring does not lock in. The low side is even worse, it's just the wrong size - the coupler is too small and won't seat on the port. It appear that my R134 ports on the Suburban are not a standard size.

I happen to have an AC pro can of refrigerant on hand. Its coupler does not fit on the low side either ... so nothing fits and I can't fix my AC ... I'm just at a complete loss. I'm almost certain I charged this truck before. What am I missing. Why can't my standard automotive R134 Manifold guage set with standard R134 quick connects fit onto the R134 port on this truck... what can I do about this?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
That's odd.... my 99 suburban I had no issues with standard AC fittings when I had it...
Lived in TX then had to have good AC lol....

Maybe the lines have been replaced with some aftermarket junk? Or the incorrect lines?

Could your gauges have R12 fittings? Or R22?

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
This is solved. Both ports used to have black plastic dust caps. The caps were gone. It turns out the caps had a threaded plastic post that extends into the port to keep the dust out. Both caps sheered off clean. So the broken black plastic post was obstructing the center of the ports. I thought this was part of the port. This left over plastic plug had to be carefully removed (like a broken bolt). Now the ports have an open center with a pin - and the quick connectors slide right on. That was an IQ test that I pretty much failed - holy crap that was an odd thing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online