99 Silverado 2500 6.0l

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Alright guys my father wanted me to ask you what would cause his truck to backfire while starting it?

It got down to 0° last night, he says anytime it's below 10° outside he has to go out every 3 hours and start it.. If not it won't start the next morning. Well he didn't realize it got quite as low as it did last night and went out this morning to start the truck and it backfired and blew the muffler apart when it backfired. It Also broke the starter bolts.

As for maintenance I'm not exactly for sure.. I know that he just had fuel pump and filter done about a month ago..

Also I'm not for sure if check engine light is on or not as the truck is in the shop right now.. But he wanted me to post it up here and see if anyone had any clues what to look at for why it backfired and the hard starting when it's cold out.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Yeah I know rite?!lol he thought it broke one of the house Windows when it went since it was only like 10 foot from the house..

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
That's crazy! I've never heard of that happening.

I'm kind of having the same issue of the not wanting to start when cold with my Sierra. I finally got a code yesterday and it's pointing to the crankshaft position sensor. Does he have access to a scanner or can he run it down to the parts store to have the any codes pulled? There may be some in the history if nothing popped up.

Then again, he might not want to start it until he can get it figured out since he seems to now have a cannon underneath the truck!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My dads 2000 2500 6.0 is throwing a code for the O2 since it has been cold. Better tell him to keep it warm in the garage...

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
marinegrunt said:
That's crazy! I've never heard of that happening.

I'm kind of having the same issue of the not wanting to start when cold with my Sierra. I finally got a code yesterday and it's pointing to the crankshaft position sensor. Does he have access to a scanner or can he run it down to the parts store to have the any codes pulled? There may be some in the history if nothing popped up.

Then again, he might not want to start it until he can get it figured out since he seems to now have a cannon underneath the truck!
According to the shop he had it at there were no stored codes.. And the check engine light is not on.. I told him when it does come on to let me know n I will try getting the codes with my reader..

They put a New starter on and chopped off the muffler and runs just like it did before. They Also supposedly changed out the maf sensor with a used one they had around there.. Said the readings on the old sensor were out of spec.. Still didn't help the cold start though..

HARDTRAILZ said:
My dads 2000 2500 6.0 is throwing a code for the O2 since it has been cold. Better tell him to keep it warm in the garage...
If he had a garage it might help.. Lol. Anyone put in a block heater or use a block heater? Does it make starting any easier? He found one on eBay for $50 and some change and thought about getting one to try.. But then he read that the plug could be a bitch to get out and could ruin the threads.. He doesn't wanna mess with it now.. Lol. So he gets up every 3 hrs still to start the truck when it's cold out..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ruin what threads? You can let the plug hang out in front of bumper. Tons of guys do around here. I have the plug on my TB, but never used it.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
His never came stock with block heater.. There is a plug in the block where it Is supposed to go I guess.. I haven't looked at it.. But he said him n the guys at the shop were looking for the block heater and all the could find was the plug in the block where a heater is supposed to be.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ok. That makes sense, but does not address what threads?

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
The plug is threaded into the block.. He has heard from few people that while trying to get the plug out you can mess up the threads in the block.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is pretty hard for me to believe. Do the thread in your oil pan or diffs ever get messed up by removing the plugs? Not hardly. They are threaded for removal so he can have a block heater if he wants.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Lol I would do it in a heartbeat if it would help me.. But he's 50 n getting to be a worry wart.. Lol for lack of better words..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tell him removing the lug nuts has as much chance of screwing up the threads as taking the block plug out.

You make sure you have the proper wrench or socket when removing, but the threads are not going to be the issue. Maybe rounding the head off the plug if you use the wrong tool.

Of course installing the block heater you be careful not to cross thread anything, just like any other install. It should help. I know guys that swear by them. I just never needed to use mine personally.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Thanks Kyle.. He's all worried bc the truck has over 250k on it and being it's getting old he doesn't wanna have it break and be screwed.. I will try to talk him into it though for sure..

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its just like any other plug. Might be tough to break free w high miles but once done it should be fine.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

rocketsound

Jul 18, 2014
I put one in my 03 Suburban, takes a 17mm allen socket. Can be hard to break loose, I used an impact with a swivel, no problems. Trailblazers have the same threaded plug next to thermostat. The cord for the block heater has a thermostat in it that prevents operation until -18F, I removed that "feature".

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online