97x glove box jammed won't open

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
97x glove box jammed won't open either locked or unlocked. I would prefer not to destroy it to open it. thanks for any tips.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Push up on the bottom of the door, where the hinges are. Sometimes they get worn, and dont allow the latch to release properly.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I feel like the air bag fuse should be pulled?

initially I pulled up w/ my hands still jammed
then I pryed up w/ a 3'2x4 pryed directly under the latch I placed a 10" block then pryed w/ 2x4 still jammed

it still locks and unlocks. thanks

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
do you normally have it locked? When you are pulling up on the handle, what do you hear, what do you feel?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
usaley it's unlocked.if I remember correctly the handle actuely pulls sideways don't feel anything though the handle, it felt like the handle wasn't connected to like a latch rod.

I was appleing preasure directly under handle I started releaseing preasure when I heard GM plastic cracking.

what useally happens something inside cracked/broke what do you guys do for a fix did locking it contribute to it's malfunction?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
on my year, the handle is pulled up / out towards you which causes a little metal tab / latch to pull down and away from the lock stop bar inside. I am thinking maybe someone locked it and unknowingly then someone pulled hard on it to start the "fracturing" on the internal mechanism.

I think your only solution at this point, might be to try take apart the lower dash components on that side. I haven't looked close enough but it appears that the hinging is connected to some lower brace structure of the dash.

certainly disable any passenger air bag systems before attacking anything on that side.
hopefully the attached file will provide some hints at getting at the thing successfully.

Attachments

• saab glove box rpl.pdf
    241.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I may have created this jammed up glove box initialy after purchase the GB won't latch itself so the genious I am slams it till it does close however it would always open until now.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
:smile: ....hmmm perhaps the unit is then bound up from too much "tighteness" at the latch mechanism with respect to the latch bar. Pushing in at the top near the latch area. This would move the latch bar away from the finger of the latch mechanism and maybe allow it to move freely.... looking at my 2008.

looking at the attachment, I think all you need to do, is remove the three retaining screw in the dash frame to remove the box.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online