97X 5.3 clunk and jerk while making sharp left turn

Dpitts

Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Atlanta
Yesterday I made a sharp left turn from a parking space and the car mad a clunk sound and a hard jerk as it started to move. Is felt as though a gear was not engaged properly. It seemed to come from the rear end. What should I look for? Also a yellow light on the right side of the dash came on for about 15 minutes. Thanks

QuirkyAero

Jun 22, 2020
Seattle, WA
My wife's 2006 4.2 9-7x was doing this sort of thing from time-to-time.

I found the ABS sensor on the drivers side wheel full of rusty water. After I replaced both front hubs the problem went away.

Note: the front ABS sensor needs a five sided Allen wrench to remove the retaining bolt. I could not find such a thing, but the internet wisdom came though and people suggested a five-point Torx bit: It fits, you need to tap it in, and it removed the retaining bolt. I don't recall which size five point Torx was needed, but I got a set that covered it for about $10 on Amazon.

The front bearing hubs came with an ABS sensor pre-installed along with the correct long cable and all mounting plastic inset/clip thingies.

Reactions: Dpitts

Dpitts

Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Atlanta
I don't hear the noise during abrupt stops. Only occasionally when making very sharp turns at very low speeds from a stand still. I'm sure it's drivetrain related though. Thanks

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be a front axle. Another possibility is a failing bearing in the disconnect on the right side of the oil pan. Maybe the extreme turn puts extra stress on it.

Reactions: Dpitts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.