96 k1500 4hi problem. electronic transfer case

newguyinnc

Original poster
Mar 8, 2014
hey all , new to the site and ill apologize in advance if this question has already been asked and answered. I have a 1996 k1500 with push button 4wd. When I push the 4hi button , it just flashed , same when I pushed 4lo. I changed the transfer case motor , then it started blowing the #2 fuse. The transfer case motor has 2 electrical plugs on it , when I unplug the one lowest and most fwd , it quits blowing fuses and just goes back to blinking , plug it back in and push 4hi and it starts blowing fuses again. Did I get a bad new motor or is something else going on??

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It sounds like the Transfer Case may be seized in the 2hi mode its currently in. The only option I can think of to test if you have a bad motor, which I think is still referred to as a Encoder motor, is to pull it off the transfer case, and operate it outside of the case. If it functions, and doesn't blow a fuse, it would make me think that the transfer case is locked in its current gear.

When was the Transfer Case fluid last checked? Changed?

Now with the motor off, you should be able to turn the piece on the transfer case with a wrench. Don't try to hard, you don't want to round this piece off. I would do this with the drivers side tires in the air on jack stands, and a helper to slowly turn the wheels to see if it helps while you are under the truck trying to manually shift it.

I am betting the transfer case is locked in 2wd. I never liked the electronic 4wd trucks that GM came out with in the 90's. The manual shift ones were the only ones that would reliably work.

Hope that makes sense. It is 5 am in the morning,.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online