NEED HELP 95 350 tbi stalling while in drive

drake.whitehead

Original poster
Apr 14, 2021
Indianapolis
So my truck is a 1995 k2500 silverado with a 5.7 350 tbi engine in it. So I just got done with a surging problem and a whole bunch of new parts dumped into this vehicle and it’s now running a lot better. There’s only a few problems left though. So what it’s been doing is, it’s sputtering when you floor it pedal all the way down to the floor and it will sputter. The second thing is it will loss power behind it and then lose speed till it completely stalls out and then once I get to a stop. The truck will have a slight problem starting back up I’ll give it a minute to sit then turn the key starts up, put it in drive the second you let off the brake stalls out immediately again. I have no idea what it could be everything on the intake manifold including the intake manifold is brand new except the tbi and the injectors and fuel pressure regulator, the fuel filter is new, the compression is fine the fuel pressure is fine the only other things going on is there is it has a tick to it and there is a very small drip at the transfer case but I don’t think the leak at the transfer case is the problem even though yes it is a problem, BUT I don’t believe that’s the issue at hand here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome. Not too often we hear from older iron here, especially pre-OBD2, which doesn't have as good data (if any) to look at.

What brand were the parts, especially the fuel pump? I had something similar to that in my '00 Jimmy where it would fall flat on its face at WOT but fine at idle and lower speeds. Turned out it was the Cheap Chinese pump that couldn't keep up with demand.

Did you check for vacuum leaks? Easiest way is with carb cleaner. Is the CEL on? Even though it's an older OBD1, it should set a code for a lean or rich condition or some other problems.

What about ignition parts? Plugs, coil(s), wires, cap and rotor (if any).

It's been a while since I've worked on an OBD1. I don't even know if live data is even possible. Back then, actual scanners were very expensive and didn't even know about live data and all I did then was short the two wires in the ALDL to get the light to flash the codes. Apparently the Tech2 scanner can read live data. I know I have a lot of different adapters and probably one of them is for the old ALDL.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Going WAY back, and with a somewhat foggy memory, but sometime around those years there was a problem with the solder on the boards in the ECM's. The way you checked it was rapping on it while the truck was running. If it stalled, you found the problem.
Also, check the TPS.

Reactions: Mooseman

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
After vacuum leaks, the egr valve, and its accompanying control solenoid should be checked. I think the 95 might have the valve controlled directly with a solenoid rather than a solenoid controlling vacuum flow. Irregardless, the valve may be gummed up. Make sure it is closed completely and unhook the wires or vacuum lines.

Reactions: Mooseman

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
After vacuum leaks, the egr valve, and its accompanying control solenoid should be checked. I think the 95 might have the valve controlled directly with a solenoid rather than a solenoid controlling vacuum flow. Irregardless, the valve may be gummed up. Make sure it is closed completely and unhook the wires or vacuum lines.
I remember my 305 TBI had a vacuum controlled EGR. Funny thing, the valve was fine....but the passage way was blocked solid with carbon inside the intake. I believe the valve design changed to the solenoid design with the Vortecs. I never owned a V6 or V8 Vortec, but I can say that these failed on all of my Buick 3800's and 3400's at some point.

Reactions: BrianF

drake.whitehead

Original poster
Apr 14, 2021
Indianapolis
So it have new vacuum lines none of them are bad, never replaced the fuel pump just the fuel filter, and the egr is controlled by a solenoid, the plugs, wires, distributor, intake manifold, map sensor, tps, ects, fuel filter, brake booster, vacuum lines, and the egr are all brand new

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.