9-7x Security light on after breaking key with my fat ass

Muha22752

Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Denver
As the subject says, I broke my fob off of my key while reaching over to fold in my mirror. I was able to restart the car and park it right after it happened.
Fast forward to a week later, I was able to go to a locksmith and get a replacement key made. I tried to start the car with this generic replacement key, and now I have a solid security light.
I have not been able to get the security light off while doing the reprogram listed in some other threads. (Although I did give up after the light never turned off with the key in the on position after 15 minutes)
Should I just keep trying the reprogram procedure?
Currently have the car sitting with the battery unplugged, hopping this may reset the system

Any opinions are appreciated at this point.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Relearn only works when replacing the PCM. And because it's a bastard child Saab, this one does have the PK3 chipped key.

Do you still have the broken key? Was it the original key with fob? If you open it, you will see a small glass pill inside. That's the chip. What you could do is take the chip out and stick it inside the ignition key bezel near the hole. Get a couple non-chip keys cut (if the ones you got cut were already chipped, look to see if it says PK3). Another option would be to get programmable PK3 keys and have the code copied to them from the old chip.

Reactions: Mektek

Muha22752

Original poster
Jan 9, 2021
Denver
Thanks for the reply Mooseman. I think I figured it out, when I broke the key the remote opened up and the pill shipped thing must have fallen out somewhere in my car cause its missing from my remote. I am going to look around for it tomorrow, but if I can't find it I may need another solution. I have to move the car by the 25th, if I need to bypass pk3 are there any kits out there for that? I did a bit of research and seems like there are services that will remove VATS from my ECM all together, seems like that may be an option.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, you can have the PCM tuned to turn off VATS however, the security light will be flashing the whole time the engine is running but tape or removing the light in the cluster will take care of that. http://www.lime-swap.com/ is one of our members (@limequat ) and charges only $99 to tune it. You can also have other things done to it to improve it overall.

Another option would be to find someone with a Tech 2 to program new keys in it. Otherwise, might have to tow it to a dealer. Not sure if an independent shop with a high end Snap On scanner would be able to.

Reactions: limequat

Rissa69

Jan 14, 2021
Moira ny
I just recently have a new issue with my saab 97x 2007 the anti theft light is lit solid I changed the battery's in the keys thinking maybe they had died ever since I bought the saab I have never been able to use the key in the door it will go in but will not turn. I bought it knowing only it had 1 problem and that was having to start it with getting up under the tire and touching the starter solenoid still trying to narrow down what that could he but right now it will let me start it that way it stays running but the lights locks and headlights will not turn on or they will come on for a minute and shut back off please help I love my saab I just got it a few months back and would love to be able to figure this whole mess out

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Rissa69 , I moved your post to this thread as it is more related to your issue. Read it as it may have the info you need. Your key may be missing the chip inside the remote.

Also, the seized door key lock is the same issue I had, probably caused by non-use while using only the fob. It might be repairable but likely you'll need to replace it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online