9-7x: Lifted vs. non-lifted

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I bought the Saab, it came with a 2.5" suspension lift. The rear bags had already been changed to springs. The rear shocks were stock and unaltered so they were extended to their limit even with the weight of the truck. It was an old kit, everything was rusty and the front mount bushings were shot. Looks like a MarkMC from the looks of the rear springs cups. The front mounts don't look like anything he or anybody else is selling.

When it was lifted, I didn't care for it much and found the ride to be harsh. My wife had a hard time getting in and it just looked goofy because this is not a 4x4. It's a Saab.

Anyway, here's a before shot before being un-lifted:

20150715_153037 (Large).jpg

And after:

20150716_161523 (Large).jpg

In all honesty, what these trucks deserve is to be lowered because it still looks too high to me. It's almost level, just an inch higher at the rear of the rocker panel vs. the front. I got it aligned right after and the toe was out, of course.

PS: Anybody that uses a Pitman arm puller on the stud should use a bolt in the Allen hole. One stud got deformed, mushrooming the threads and destroying the nut when I tried to put it on. The other one got deformed too but not as bad and I was able to fix the threads with a file. The other I had to grind down and file after finding a replacement nut.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Don't think I have ever seen a Saab lifted. Too much gap in the wheel well when lifted. Definitely looks better lowered, but I think you're right it could be lowered more.

The second pic that you posted, is that the stock height for the Saab?

Reactions: triz

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's basically all stock, including wheels and tires (255 55R18) unless the wrong springs were used but I can't imagine a spring any stronger than those for a V8 in front. Rears are a mystery since they are not stock but if the front are correct, then the rear looks fine.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here a stock picture I found. Mine still does look a bit higher than that.

2008_saab_9-7x-pic-44923.png

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
It looks a couple of inches to high, how about a 1 2 drop form stock high?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, who knows what the previous owner did to it. I'll leave it for now. Could be a mod later on.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I agree the Saab's look better lowered. I'd like to lower my Rainier a bit as well and get a new wheel/tire combo, but that will have to wait.

Reactions: djthumper

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mooseman said:
It's basically all stock, including wheels and tires (255 55R18) unless the wrong springs were used but I can't imagine a spring any stronger than those for a V8 in front. Rears are a mystery since they are not stock but if the front are correct, then the rear looks fine.

There are stronger than v8 springs and they may have been swapped in. I could see you finding some SS take-offs or something to get a nice clean slightly lower stance. Wonder if Tony could help you find some since he sells all the lowering stuff and you would probably as well with SS stocker stuff.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't know who "Tony" is but if he's based in the US, it wouldn't make economic sense for me to buy and ship to Canada. With our Canadian peso not doing so well lately, I'd just buy locally or on Amazon Canada for new stuff.

Checked the parts numbers on RockAuto and seems that only the ACDelco Professional has the parts specific to the SS and 9-7x since both use the same suspension parts. Anyway, until I replace my rusty hood and have the body fixed up, I'm not going to modify the suspension further.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tony is the guy that sells all the lowering kits and arms and such. NorcalSS. Does the repo wheels as well.

I was thinking he may know someone swapping his suspension in and you could buy theirs...might even be in Canada.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
As best I can tell, the SS comes with air bags in the rear stock. I've been keeping tabs on the classifieds section of SSOwners to see if anyone who had maybe swapped stock height springs in to replace their bags, decided to go lower, and wanted to unload their stock height springs. That way I could use them for a small bit of lowering and level my truck for a bargain. Crickets man, crickets...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even rarer up here :frown:

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, I can get those through Amazon.ca. Can anybody confirm the Moog part number for the front? Moog 81116 seems to be correct but I can't get them from Amazon.ca.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Blckshdw said:
:raspberry: I know that was meant for me. :poke:

:undecided: Mod bug is considering it...
I would never incite a mod bug.... :lipsrsealed:

:rotfl:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Using body lines and the center hub caps as reference points between my pic and the stock photo, they look to be the same or close to it. I might just leave well enough alone, at least until the mod bug bites :biggrin:

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Mooseman said:
Well, I can get those through Amazon.ca. Can anybody confirm the Moog part number for the front? Moog 81116 seems to be correct but I can't get them from Amazon.ca.
Rock auto shows 81116 for the Saab 6cyl. Strangely enough they show the 81110 for the Saab V8.
Which is the same spring (81110) for my 6cyl Rainier. 2wd though. They show 81112 for the AWD 6 cyl Rainier.
Thought that was odd.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think on Ortb most of the Moog crossover spring rates can be found

Reactions: djthumper
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Old post. But I'm doing a TB spring conversion on my 9-7x, just to get an inch or so more clearance. Lots of dirt roads where I live, and I do enjoy a good backroads drive every now and again, plus a little more clearance won't hurt.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
NO......NO NO

Those are dangerous due to extending the strut length

Reactions: farmer2030

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
check out theliftmeister.com

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If all you want to do is equalize front and rear, why not just lower the rear to match the front? Easy by adjusting the rear air ride sensors.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I put Monroe 271341 quickstruts from RockAuto on my Saab a month or so ago. I was cautiously optimistic that they would keep the Saab ride height as that model is ONLY listed for Saab, none of the other GMTs. Sadly, I now have a stock height SaabBlazer. I had hoped it would settle down after a bit, but now go. I kept my old springs to maybe swap out at some point, but I'm not feeling quite that motivated lately.

It does look a little funny at this height, but I don't notice a significant difference in the ride. The stock equipment had 135,000 miles on it, so really needed to go. With pothole insanity in Michigan right now, maybe the extra height is a good thing...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You just turn the sensors.

You will want to upsize the tires for ground clearance and if you go over 30.5 diameter you will want offset wheels or spacer/adapters.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You can simply swap springs then

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Depends what springs you have stock. Should be a tag on them

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Huh? There were several stock spring rates used. The saab typically was lower than others, but without the before and after data to compare, it is a guess.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I don't have a specific number on the height increase with the Monroes, but to my eye it looks just like the Trailblazer and Envoy. Maybe a smidgen lower, but certainly not the low slung Saab look.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online