9/10 get a backfire when turn off my TB

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,
I've had this for some time now but never really looked into it. 9/10 I would get a backfire once I turn off my TB. My throttle is clean, sparks are new, oil changes and other services are all up to date. No Cat or resonator in the rear. The exhaust is in pretty good shape according to the guy that checked it out.

I do feel I have a lot of Carb in my system. I practically suffocate when standing behind my ride while on. :puke:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Sorry to hear about your problems...
Also sorry that I have nothing usefull to help you with....:frown:

But, I was curious.
You have the SuperSparkz installed, yes?
Did you have these problems before install? Or just after?

Another member reports wierd things happening with those things installed and the syptoms went away after removal.
So I was just wondering if they were causing you grief as well.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
They were before the supersparks actually. It's an old problem that I got used too but thought its time to fix

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
fadyasha said:
Hey guys,
I've had this for some time now but never really looked into it. 9/10 I would get a backfire once I turn off my TB. My throttle is clean, sparks are new, oil changes and other services are all up to date. No Cat or resonator in the rear. The exhaust is in pretty good shape according to the guy that checked it out.

I do feel I have a lot of Carb in my system. I practically suffocate when standing behind my ride while on. :puke:

Have you (do you plan to) Seafoamed your engine at all?

Edit: Although having done the cat delete mod may also have something to do with the respiratory distress you experience when standing back there :no:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Have you (do you plan to) Seafoamed your engine at all?

umm did it last year? in other words around 50k ago and yes I did that much mileage in a year :redface:! I'm due for an oil change, I think i'll do a seafoam too :tongue:

jham

Nov 20, 2011
fadyasha said:
Hey guys,

I wonder if there is unburned fuel getting into the exhaust..??

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
jham said:
I wonder if there is unburned fuel getting into the exhaust..??

I hope not! going back on the sea foam I haven't done it before, I did an engine flush! got mixed up lol! I'll see if I can find anyone that sells the product here. :tongue:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Even if you're not sending unburned fuel to the exhaust, since there's no cat to plug, there's also no cat to interact with the raw exhaust to make it less toxic. That could be why you notice it so much when you stand behind the truck and it's running. :twocents:

Hopefully the seafoam will help some, and at the least, you'll have a cool smoke show to put on! :cool:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Even if you're not sending unburned fuel to the exhaust, since there's no cat to plug, there's also no cat to interact with the raw exhaust to make it less toxic. That could be why you notice it so much when you stand behind the truck and it's running. :twocents:

Hopefully the seafoam will help some, and at the least, you'll have a cool smoke show to put on! :cool:

lol! yeh best part is the smoke show! Quick question though if i can't find this stuff locally how about i paypal someone and ship them to me? lol! I wonder if its allowed to ship this stuff... think should be ok!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
fadyasha said:
lol! yeh best part is the smoke show! Quick question though if i can't find this stuff locally how about i paypal someone and ship them to me? lol! I wonder if its allowed to ship this stuff... think should be ok!

Yah, I can help you with that. Easiest way is to put it into a USPS flat rate box.

As for the backfire, aren't you tuned? Sounds like you're running so rich that raw gas is igniting in your manifold or muffler. Maybe you could find a local shop to hookup a wideband and let you know what's going on.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
limequat said:
Yah, I can help you with that. Easiest way is to put it into a USPS flat rate box.

As for the backfire, aren't you tuned? Sounds like you're running so rich that raw gas is igniting in your manifold or muffler. Maybe you could find a local shop to hookup a wideband and let you know what's going on.

Thanks Lime, i'll be going down to a mall here called Auto Mall lol! who figures! They have everything so i'm hoping they got the sea foam. If not then will send you a PM! Thanks for the help.

Yeh i'm tuned, but this was even before that :redface: like I said an old problem but never really cared about it! i'll take it by the exhaust shop, I've gotta feeling it's bad

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:

I agree. My Camaro's cat doesn't work so the exhaust smells like an old farm tractor.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
So after a bit of a search no one has heard of seafoam here but an engine flush has a similar effect which is known here. They basically flush the engine from the oil and hook up a machine to the engine.

It then pumps chemicals into the engine and does a couple of cycles to clean it out from the carbon. All this process happens while the engine is off.

The machine pumps and sucks on its own. Took a few pics and a small video clip. I must say after doing it the vibration in my engine is much less and so his the smell of my exhaust.

I practically stuck my nose inside the pipe lool! Backfire, well I'm not sure it is even a backfire but it's more of the engine shakes once I turn of the ignition.

I did an oil change today as well so gonna drive around and see if it gets better.

20222a14.jpg

c475571d.jpg

0100dc01.jpg

30e5f64e.mp4

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online