'84 Chevy C10 aka the "Farm Truck" and '86 GMC Jimmy K5

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I picked the truck up in September '15 when i was searching for a second vehicle for Daily Driver duties. Initially when i made the deal on it i was told that it was originally powered by an Olds 350 Diesel and had it swapped out for the 350 Olds Rocket thats in it now. However i have since learned it was originally powered by a 305 Chevy. Initially when i seen the marking on the rad support i thought the support had been swapped out for some reason. But then i ran the trucks Vin number on a couple decoding sites and learned it originally had the 305. As for the source of the 350 Rocket...it seems to be from a 75-78 Cutlass, Most likely a 2 door or one of the sportier models since it has the large cap HEI and the 4 barrel Quadrajet. The carb itself is from an older model olds as the part number matches up to a 73-74 application. Needless to say all these mismatched parts are making it interesting to maintain this old truck.

Known specs:
1984 Chevy C10 Custom Deluxe (Basically the base model truck)

'75 Olds 350 Rocket V8 (determined by the overlap in various numbers on the engine such as the carb and heads)
Th400 Transmission
3:08 gearing with open diff 10 bolt axle

I got the Jimmy more recently in march after trading the '91 Sierra C1500 i got in January for it. The friend i made that deal with needed a newer more reliable vehicle and since i have a reliable DD in the form of my '15 Jeep Patriot i figured i could take on another project. This one is the High Sierra model which gave it a nice bit of options in terms of what it was equipped with. It has AC like the '84 however i will be removing the AC parts from the C10 and keeping them around as spares for this one. It also has the better am/fm stereo and speaker set up that i may just end up moving to the C10 in favor of upgrading the Jimmy to a Din style deck. Jury is still out on that as i may just finally convert both to modern DIN sized decks.

For now i will just post up these pics from the winter and maybe later today i may head out to storage to get some better pics of both.

dIbwhtf.jpg

Pd3JJ41.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Reactions: Redbeard

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
This is going to turn out well... and for the sake of your Restoration Efforts… Hope this information helps:

Parts and Pieces:

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/cc-1984-chevy-c10-parts.htm

1984 GM OEM Truck-Line Series Service Manual(s):

CD Version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chevr...963716&hash=item20c93bdc9d:g:f6QAAOSwWTRWu9F3

Hard Copy Version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chevy...273302?hash=item5207ecbb96:g:QAMAAOSwRE5ah41b

Thanks for the links! I was familar with LMC truck from previous projects but the links for the service manuals def help a lot! Since both trucks are similar enough i suspect that those would serve me well on the K5 as well.

Reactions: mrrsm

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I picked the truck up in September '15 when i was searching for a second vehicle for Daily Driver duties. Initially when i made the deal on it i was told that it was originally powered by an Olds 350 Diesel and had it swapped out for the 350 Olds Rocket thats in it now. However i have since learned it was originally powered by a 305 Chevy. Initially when i seen the marking on the rad support i thought the support had been swapped out for some reason. But then i ran the trucks Vin number on a couple decoding sites and learned it originally had the 305. As for the source of the 350 Rocket...it seems to be from a 75-78 Cutlass, Most likely a 2 door or one of the sportier models since it has the large cap HEI and the 4 barrel Quadrajet. The carb itself is from an older model olds as the part number matches up to a 73-74 application. Needless to say all these mismatched parts are making it interesting to maintain this old truck.

Known specs:
1984 Chevy C10 Custom Deluxe (Basically the base model truck)

'75 Olds 350 Rocket V8 (determined by the overlap in various numbers on the engine such as the carb and heads)
Th400 Transmission
3:08 gearing with open diff 10 bolt axle

I got the Jimmy more recently in march after trading the '91 Sierra C1500 i got in January for it. The friend i made that deal with needed a newer more reliable vehicle and since i have a reliable DD in the form of my '15 Jeep Patriot i figured i could take on another project. This one is the High Sierra model which gave it a nice bit of options in terms of what it was equipped with. It has AC like the '84 however i will be removing the AC parts from the C10 and keeping them around as spares for this one. It also has the better am/fm stereo and speaker set up that i may just end up moving to the C10 in favor of upgrading the Jimmy to a Din style deck. Jury is still out on that as i may just finally convert both to modern DIN sized decks.

For now i will just post up these pics from the winter and maybe later today i may head out to storage to get some better pics of both.

dIbwhtf.jpg

Pd3JJ41.jpg
I like the look of that C10 man, don't paint it, leave that patina.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wish the k5 I junked wasn't a total death trap. They are cool. The problem was the frame was broken and the entire body was swiss cheese. You could fred flintstone that thing pretty much anywhere inside. Those both look to be solid foundations tbh.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I like the look of that C10 man, don't paint it, leave that patina.

It is up in the air what will happen. It will more then likely end up with a different box in the near future.

I wish the k5 I junked wasn't a total death trap. They are cool. The problem was the frame was broken and the entire body was swiss cheese. You could fred flintstone that thing pretty much anywhere inside. Those both look to be solid foundations tbh.

Both are, In fact the C10 was my DD for the first year or so i had it.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It is up in the air what will happen. It will more then likely end up with a different box in the near future.

Both are, In fact the C10 was my DD for the first year or so i had it.
Now that you say that I think I remember you mentioning it actually...

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Now that you say that I think I remember you mentioning it actually...

Yea i drove it whenever i could to allow my wife to use the van we had at the time. Now it has been retired to "toy" status more or less. Though i may end up fitting airbags to the rear end to help it tow the trailer i bought yesterday.

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Slight update in the form of getting rid of the Jimmy to handle some bills in the aftermath of leaving the security field nearly a year ago now. So all i have left of the squarebodies is the C10. Ironically got rid of the trailer i mentioned in the previous post as well. C10 is still just a toy at this point though as i now daily drive a Black on Black Ram 1500 Express reg cab.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I can't believe it.. but this 36 year old set of pristine Chevrolet C-10 Truck Shop Manuals (1,728 Pages) are still available on eBay for just under $80.00. They would certainly compliment that Neat Old Truck as a "Package Deal" set of Classics that would add value to it as well:

CHEVROLETC10MANUALS.jpg

Reactions: Darkrider_LS

Darkrider_LS

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I can't believe it.. but this 36 year old set of pristine Chevrolet C-10 Truck Shop Manuals (1,728 Pages) are still available on eBay for just under $80.00. They would certainly compliment that Neat Old Truck as a "Package Deal" set of Classics that would add value to it as well:

View attachment 94067

Bookmarked the ad for when i can afford it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online