6 disc CD changer fail after dead battery. RPO "UKA". I believe it is the Bose system. Delphi Head unit.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
It displays "Changer Full" when I push load disc. Then I push the eject disc button and it says eject disc number 1. I for a fact there are no discs in it. It cycles a few time then nothing. It won't let me load anything into it. I''ve pulled the fuse a few times hoping to reset it but to no avail.

Never had problems before. Battery went dead a few days ago, I believe I left the key on. I recharged the battery, it's holding a good charge. Luckily I avoided the AC actuator's bombing on me but now the C.D. Changer won't work. It has power. The radio works fine. Just no C.D. capability. I like my C.D. collection for road trips. Would like to keep the unit. Any suggestions?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
It displays "Changer Full" when I push load disc. Then I push the eject disc button and it says eject disc number 1. I for a fact there are no discs in it. It cycles a few time then nothing. It won't let me load anything into it. I''ve pulled the fuse a few times hoping to reset it but to no avail.

Never had problems before. Battery went dead a few days ago, I believe I left the key on. I recharged the battery, it's holding a good charge. Luckily I avoided the AC actuator's bombing on me but now the C.D. Changer won't work. It has power. The radio works fine. Just no C.D. capability. I like my C.D. collection for road trips. Would like to keep the unit. Any suggestions?

I have a 2002 LT with the Bose 6 disc unit. Mine was doing the same as you describe. I disassembled, studied the mechanism, determined it need some lubrication in just the right place(s). Did that, reassembled and it has been working OK since though I will say I don't load and unload much.

It is definitely not for someone who hasn't worked on exceedingly small, intricate electro-mechanical systems with a good supply of tools for working on parts too small to even see clearly.

Cannot reccomend it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think I remember that my stock Bose radio also did this in the Saab and would run continuously, killing the battery. Replaced it with an aftermarket HU.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You can actually buy just the CD unit by itself, and replace it. I have done this, and it was fairly easy, but lots of TINY little screws.

I think this is the one I bought. Cant find the auction listing for mine.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
What year is it? I have my OEM Bose Lux unit from my 02 that was in perfect working condition when it was removed if you need to replace yours. Pay the postage and it's yours...if it's compatiable.

Reactions: mrrsm

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
What year is it? I have my OEM Bose Lux unit from my 02 that was in perfect working condition when it was removed if you need to replace yours. Pay the postage and it's yours...if it's compatiable.
Hi Matt,
Thank you for the generous offer. I might have to take you up on it. My Envoy is also 2002. Apparently these are a V.I.N. locked unit and requires reprogramming at the dealership at a pretty expensive rate if it's not a matching V.I.N. code when plugged in.

For now I am pursuing taking it out and either working on it myself or if too difficult taking it to a shop. Will try to keep the stock unit but will definitely let you know I need yours after all.

Thanks again. Cam

Reactions: Matt

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
You can actually buy just the CD unit by itself, and replace it. I have done this, and it was fairly easy, but lots of TINY little screws.

I think this is the one I bought. Cant find the auction listing for mine.

Sweet! Thank you Tollkeeper for the link. I am hoping to start working on mine today. The radio unit is V.I.N. locked do you know if it affects the C.D. changer? Did you have to have unit reprogrammed after replacing the C.D. changer?

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
CD changer is separate, You should be fine using @Matt 's unit.

If yours is a 2002, DO NOT use the one from my link above. You have a AM/FM CD6 radio. They are different units compared to the 2004.5 BAND CD6 radios.

You can confirm this by the radio face, does it say AM/FM or BAND

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I have an 02 and I have noticed in Tech 2 there is NO DIGITAL radio receiver like there is in my 05 Yukon.

Also, were I to face the changer issue again I would not disassemble first, but only remove the one panel to access the insides and then use something like a needle point oiler like the sort used on old mechanical clockworks or some light grease and touch all the points I could access that show previous greasing.

Reactions: mrrsm and Matt

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi Matt,
Could you please post a photo of the radio/cd unit from your 2002. Or e-mail if you prefer to camerod@msn.com If it is the same one that I have I would like to take you up on your offer. Thanks, Cam

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Hi Matt,
Could you please post a photo of the radio/cd unit from your 2002. Or e-mail if you prefer to camerod@msn.com If it is the same one that I have I would like to take you up on your offer. Thanks, Cam
No worries. I'll take some happy snaps when I get home this arvo and throw them up. I'll do the front and the back with the model and serial numbers.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Here are mate.

PXL_20210727_202038225.MP.jpg

PXL_20210727_202104439.MP.jpg

PXL_20210727_202206077.MP.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Those buttons are in great shape for being nearly 20 years old!

5-13-02 - Pre-Production model, or more likely assembly line stock build up.

If it was a BAND radio, I would offer to buy it.. But I already have one like yours.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi Matt,
Great photos. It sure looks exactly like mine. The part number is different though. I will check with the GM dealer to see if it will work. Are you in the U.S. or Australia?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Those buttons are in great shape for being nearly 20 years old!

5-13-02 - Pre-Production model, or more likely assembly line stock build up.

If it was a BAND radio, I would offer to buy it.. But I already have one like yours.
Mine truck was built in June 02, so it was one of the last YM02 to come off the line. I did actually change the buttons before I pulled it in 2017.
Hi Matt,
Great photos. It sure looks exactly like mine. The part number is different though. I will check with the GM dealer to see if it will work. Are you in the U.S. or Australia?
Ahhh, been in Ohio for 16 years mate. They didn't have this version of the TB back home. They got the Asian model in 2012.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi Matt,
I might be able to use the Bose Radio/CD. I sent you a PM to clarify. Thanks, Cam

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online