5.3 with 4.10 gears OK?

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
Sorry to ressurect an old thread... got a 3.42 gu6 in my envoy xl and found a tb ext with a gt5. I'm thinking of trying to get it for 2-300... I drive mostly stop n go and hills and like I stole it. Even with a 5.3 and stock tires it doesn't get out of it's own way fast enough for my taste. My 3/2 lift and wheel adapters are sitting in the garage and I'm probably putting 31.5s or bigger/heavier on in the next 2 weeks. I already drift it wet but it's gonna need much more pull to merge easier and drift dry with the bigger heavier tires/rims. Hoping to have tq management lowered and 4.10 in by end of sept. Down the road a bit low lift truck cam/springs and LTs catless Y and nice exhaust. Mainly looking for more fun driving. Will the 4.10 g80 be ok for some fun.? I won't be doing doughnuts or launches testing for wheel hop regularly. There is a rolled tbss near me I'm hoping to get some parts from eventually but for now hoping to go budget for a bit til at least my current parts are installed got a big alt and stereo waiting to go in

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I moved your post to its own thread since it really wasn't related to that other one (was in the 4.2L section)

4.10's would be good but be aware that your fuel consumption will go up, especially on highway driving. I can't imagine there are a lot of highways on an island so for hills and city driving, they would work well for you.

A tune, even a mail order one, works wonders on these engines. @limequat did one for my 9-7x 5.3L and it really woke this beast up. He can also disable AFM before it fails as well as other things that can be changed to improve it. Best $99 you could spend.

Edit: He can also correct the speedo readout for the new gears.

Reactions: Hawaiianbasshead

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
4.10 gears wont be a problem. Your not looking for gas mileage on the interstate with your setup...lol

BUT.......Drifting and Wheel Adapters are not 2 words used in the same sentence here very often. Please update on how that works out for ya!

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
Ok, revisiting 4.10, since the xl is 8.6" will this trutrac and yukon ring gear and master rebuild kit be on par to setup my 4.10? The 4.10 and master rebuild kit says it fits, I suppose mainly my q pertains to the trutrac... but figured I'd ask you guys before buying it all. Also will be ordering a tune from jeremy probably do the $250 loner ecm/pcm since this is my daily. I need to start a build thread maybe. I love the idea of a 6.0 or 6.2 swap and 6spd 🙃 working on my stereo again lately, up to 8 speakers per front door now glassed in. Need to add my other 2 mids/highs amps next and sub/amp as I sold the last ones but all that is for my build thread 😋 thanks in advance! Also my mileage sucks bad atm 12mpg tank to tank mainly highway but our highway still has rolling long slopes and that's where again I feel 4.10 will help. Pic of my door for fun, tweeter at rear alone is almost 4lbs magnet rubs all around on the 3 5/8" or 4" cutout whatever it was... prv tw700ti is the model

Attachments

• 20220414_184628.jpg
    20220414_184628.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 4

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can't see why not. I would contact the manufacturers just to be sure.

And just to confirm, you have a 2WD? If that's the case, easy peasy. Again you'll need to get it tuned to correct the speedo.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Him being in Hawaii I would be surprised if it was 4x4.

I would just buy a complete rear axle assembly, and swap in that GT5. Than you just need to get your computer calibrated for it. Luckily you have a V8, so that can be done!

Hawaiianbasshead

Original poster
May 2, 2021
Kailua Kona HI
I actually want a stronger rear diff also as current power I still power slide as often as I can and definitely have fun in the rain. I originally did find a gt5 but realized I also want a stronger diff and the last gt5 sold. Once I up power I'm only going to get worse with tire destruction and its never an optimal time to do burnouts with a stock diff, in a suv packing hundreds of extra lbs in the trunk lol. Sub stage will be a dd 9921 in a dual layer, triple face 10ft³ box after displacements and I still haul my tools for work at another 2-300lbs so probably a good 600lbs just in trunk. Back seat typically stack material so figure doughnuts with a full load of 200+lbs people as well as 3rd row in with chubby peeps there too. Box will be 3/4" birch but still 5 or 6 sheets of it... I have probably 100lbs in wire, another 100 in amps if I had to guess. Currently have 5 amps which I may change. Another 100lbs in regular speakers, my 2 largest tweeters are almost 4lbs each or 5lbs each. I'm actually wanting tbss 14 bolt still, as originally did but that's not as quick as ordering the diff stuff in a week 🙃

Attachments

• 20220409_183330.jpg
    20220409_183330.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 4

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You could always find a GT5 out of a SS/Aero. Those are 9.0, and are beefier.

Thought I had a link for you local to HI, But I dont..

LKQ Online might be able to help, or eBay

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.