4x4 switch lights out

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
OK Roadie! My Innova Equus 3320 has arrived! $16 seemed like a good deal with enough function for my needs and limited ability? I have googled "how to use a multi-meter" and I will test the switch this weekend if all goes well.

Oddly...much like going to the doctor sometimes...when you show up, the symptoms disappear and you feel foolish? Well...the light switch has worked surprisingly well of late with few outages?

Who knows...perhaps the mere thought of a Roadie inspired fix worked? Or maybe dirty contacts....I suppose I will see that with the switch removed for testing? I will report back soon.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tell the truck you're sending the multi-meter back. You'll start having problems again. :rotfl:

You may see dirty, bent or broken connections, but the dirty contacts would be hidden inside the switch.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've fixed things just by reciting Ohm's Law in their presence, and they sat up, paid attention, thought "this guy knows things", and fixed themselves. Waving a multimeter in a horizontal figure 8 sometimes works, too. :yes:

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Would you be willing to be my Cyrano De Bergerac and recite Ohm's Law?:smile: as I do my best to fake it that I actually know what I am doing?

Thanks Wooluf...can you tell I am a bit hesitant to undertake this? I assume (I know..bad word)...that I pop the switch itself out by gently prying it out with a flathead screw driver? And then use the probes where the leads on the switch make connection to the dash itself? Or should I google this again before getting underway? Will likely do that anyway just so its fresh in my mind.

Any comments on the unit I bought? Innova Equus 3320? I know nothing about theses devices (I am sure you are shocked!); but this one appears to be the 3rd "best" of 4 in the line. And given my limited needs...and the killer price...$16...Ifigured this was the one...any obvious flaws with that thougth process?:undecided:

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I can barely spell schematic....let alone read it....isn't that one of those very busy looking flow-type charts that come with certain devices? I always assumed it was put in there because of some ahole lawyer suing some poor slob along the way....come to find out....that stuff is actually useful? Who knew? Typically amongst the first things that I throw out.:crazy:

Something tells me you advise against that sort of thing? As stated earlier....it has actually been pretty consistent of late with very few outages. So I am somewhat reluctant to even mess with it...but you know if I don't....we will get 10 feet of snow and I will be w/o 4Hi!:redface:

I am hoping it is the dirty contacts deal (does this mean I am "ridin dirty?"...always wanted to do that whatever it is?)

The kids will freak if I can't get them to the hockey rink; so I will indeed give this a go come Saturday am....as sooner or later....it will snow heavily.....cue Bing Crosby's "White Christmas":smile:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Just a quick update....I have yet to test the switch.....as per my earlier post....the lights have rarely been out of late. I am gonna still test...but the holidays and laziness have set in! I will update soon.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY CHANNUKAH TO ALL!

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Sorry....I meant to come back sooner and report back on this. I have been busy and not online as much as in the past. Long story short. The switch checked out fine. I then ordered a used TCCM from one of the links listed on here for used parts (I forget which one...but the one where you get replies from multiple vendors.) I got it for $70 shipped.

Easy install. I must say...just the threat of fixing it must have scared Old Man Winter off. We have had a remarkably event free winter here in Maine?

Thanks to all and especially Roadie for the guidance and courage to tackle this issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online