4x4 sleeve

02trailblazerLS

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
windsor
Read this thread on offroadtb about the Awd disconnects and how it has issues cuz of the extra bending load on a lifted CV shaft seems to tend to fail the outside bearings rather quickly. To fix it they are doing the awd sleeve mod, my main question about this is, how quicky do you think the awd disconnect system might fail? Im a tiny bit worried about the current state of mine, mainly cuz most of the miles on the truck are not from me. So i dont know how many times the previous owner switched to 4x4 while moving, i know its bad to switch it while moving. Before i knew that i switched it into auto4 while driving, maybe two or three times. I do test my 4x4 system once a month to make sure its all good, everything feels good so far. Just a little paranoid i guess. Especially after all the BS we been thru lately.

Attachments

• 15294D9B-12A3-48F4-8D9C-5EAA2F433E65.png
    15294D9B-12A3-48F4-8D9C-5EAA2F433E65.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 11146D9B-A86E-4831-9177-B38395741EC7.png
    11146D9B-A86E-4831-9177-B38395741EC7.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The sleeve is more to prevent the failure of the shift fork and dog gear by eliminating them. I don't think it would help much for the outer bearing failure. @HARDTRAILZ might have some ideas on this.

I know one mod those guys do is add a grease zerk to the disco to grease it on a regular basis.

Reactions: 02trailblazerLS

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Read this thread on offroadtb about the Awd disconnects and how it has issues cuz of the extra bending load on a lifted CV shaft seems to tend to fail the outside bearings rather quickly. To fix it they are doing the awd sleeve mod, my main question about this is, how quicky do you think the awd disconnect system might fail? Im a tiny bit worried about the current state of mine, mainly cuz most of the miles on the truck are not from me. So i dont know how many times the previous owner switched to 4x4 while moving, i know its bad to switch it while moving. Before i knew that i switched it into auto4 while driving, maybe two or three times. I do test my 4x4 system once a month to make sure its all good, everything feels good so far. Just a little paranoid i guess. Especially after all the BS we been thru lately.
A: The bearing is still in the same spot and gets the same load with or without the sleeve.

B: AWD sleeve is to not have to worry about the fork engaging or not engaging. Simply to take out a moving variable, not for bearing.

C: It is not bad to switch while moving. It is made to be able to go in and out of 4x4 on the fly while moving. You cant switch to 4-lo unless stopped, but popping it in 4-hi is fine even at interstate speeds. Been there done that.

D: Not sure what you are paranoid about.

If you are unsure of previous maintenance...simply pop the disco in half and regrease it unless something looks work. If it looks worn and you want to eliminate the fork moving, then do the AWD sleeve. If you regrease, the fork is likely fine for a good many miles. The AWD sleeve is not a fix all by any means. I actually destroyed one. Not sure when I redo the front if I will go with the sleeve again or just new grease and one of the forked ones I have.

NBOwner

Jan 23, 2021
Quispamsis
Well considering im goin to switch my axle disconnect to the AWD one as my actuator wants to be tempermental im thinking its better and question for you @HARDTRAILZ i want to mount an 8000lbs winch to my factory bumper is it worth while to bolt on a 1/2” steel plate under the winch to give the structure more strength and rigidity in case of a hard dead weight pull?

Last edited by a moderator:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You definitely do not want to try any winch on the BS factory bumper. It is trash metal.

you are going to want to wrap the framerails with plate and build a mount to support off angle pulls and such. 1/2 inch is overkill though.

Reactions: 02trailblazerLS

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It helps if you put an @ in front of their user name, like this:
@HARDTRAILZ

They get a notification that they have been mentioned.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
MDB Fabrication bumper kit is best bet.

NBOwner

Jan 23, 2021
Quispamsis
@Mooseman
I keep reading that alot of people did an upper control arm flip is that something we do with a 3” front lift or a 2” front lift as i currently have a 2” done and the ball joint sits deadcenter and isnt pinched to one side

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That would be better answered by @HARDTRAILZ . I don't really know too much about lifts.

NBOwner

Jan 23, 2021
Quispamsis
@HARDTRAILZ

I keep reading that alot of people did an upper control arm flip is that something we do with a 3” front lift or a 2” front lift as i currently have a 2” done and the ball joint sits deadcenter and isnt pinched to one side652F4EFE-D874-4A90-9993-9209D6548F01.jpeg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is not quite deadcenter and it will help with any lift, but if you are at 2 inches and already have a good alignment I would not bother unbtil you have other work to do anyway.

Shot MDB Fabrication a message on facebook is best way. They are not patterns. He cuts and bends the steel and then ships them for simple weld together. Lots of options available.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
MDB has a good write-up on building them on ORTB. I have some data posted from when I made the simple bol on vs the quick connect a few years back but not sure where it is...prolly here and ORTB at least.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175