4x4...please help

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
(sometimes) when i engage my 4WD (4HI) it seems like it doesn't engage or at least not all the way...and in situations where the front wheels (particularly the drivers side) should spin like in mud and other loose stuff, it doesn't, and instead it makes a sound that sounds a lot like a card in the spokes of a bicycle rim....but i say sometimes because usually if i re-engage the 4WD the sound goes away and the wheel spins like one would expect...

i know my 4x4 works, at least somewhat, otherwise i wouldn't be able to do this with an open diff...right?

View attachment 19586

View attachment 19585
for instance...first time attempting the boulder i made it halfway up and the sound started while the rear tire unloaded without either of the front tires budging...backed down, re-engaged, and attempted again. no problem

i've always been iffy about the 4x4 in my TB, shortly after i bought it it crapped out, and since it was under warranty i took it to the dealer and had to argue with them to fix it because it passed their "road test"...wtf? no shit a 4x4 is going to seem to work on a dry street...anyway long story short they replaced both actuators and the driver side CV shaft....ever since they worked on it i've never really been completely convinced that its 100 percent...

what do you guys think?

-Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20120314-00036.jpg
    IMG-20120314-00036.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20111023-00003.jpg
    IMG-20111023-00003.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 5

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Not my area of expertise but have you checked the oil levels??? Have you been up to date with the maintenance??? The transfer case must be changed around 50000 Miles or bad things seem to happen. When you put it into 4WD do you here the actuators in the transfer case engaging. Just a few things to check. Good luck

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Fire06 said:
Not my area of expertise but have you checked the oil levels??? Have you been up to date with the maintenance??? The transfer case must be changed around 50000 Miles or bad things seem to happen. When you put it into 4WD do you here the actuators in the transfer case engaging. Just a few things to check. Good luck

Thanks, all of the levels were good last time i checked...but its about time i changed the transfer case fluid im a little over on that. but both actuators work im pretty sure.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
well when i put mine in 4x4 i some times stop and in gauge it and you will here the actuator then i feel my front tires in gauge like the start pulling the truck do you hear a sound or feel the pull of the front when trying to go in 4x4 mode??

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm thinking the same as Roadie. Sounds like it isn't engaging properly (damaged fork perhaps).

If you take it apart and find worn/damaged pieces, I have a few spare parts from one if you need anything. I don't have every part, like I have no bearings, but I have a spare shift fork, spare actuator, spare collar, and gears. If I have the part you need I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping + a couple bucks to cover the trip to the post office.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
so yesterday I engaged 4WD and jacked up the front left tire and unfortunately it spun like the wheel of fortune....so looks like next weekend ill be tearing apart the splined disconnect.

quick question...its trout season so ill be on some light trails this week before I can fix it, so i was wondering since there is clearly a problem in the splined disconnect is it still alright to engage the 4x4 to try to get 3WD out of it for the week when needed, or would this cause further problems internally?

thanks
-Rob

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There won't be any problems, but it won't give you 3WD, either. All the torque that gets sent to the front differential will go into useless spinning of the intermediate shaft through the oil pan, and none to the driver's side front tire where you might want it. You're essentially 2WD, which could turn into 0WD if you don't have the G80 locker in the rear. Take a good jack and traction mats if you're not going to be with somebody who can give you a strap assist. Oh, and take a good extraction strap with end loops, not the tow strap kind with metal hooks on the ends.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher