4x4 issues

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I have a 2002 chevy trailblazer. I recently was spinning going up an incline. So I stopped and put it in awd, and tried to go up....still spinning. Tried 4hi, and still spun. I tried 4lo, but the light just blinked on 4lo and wouldnt switch to it. I went back to 4hi, and awd, and had passenger see if front tires were spinning, and they werent. So it wasnt even turning the 4wd on. The lights on the selector switch light up and act like they switch to awd, and 4hi fine, but 4 lo just blinks. You can here the whirring sound when switching the selector. Dont know what else to look for. Any advice? Thanks

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
When your switching to 4lo, are you in park or neutral? It won't switch from hi to lo if you're in gear. Go through the checklist that @HARDTRAILZ linked to, you'll most likely find your cause there.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Yes I had it in park. It would go to awd, and 4hi, but 4lo just flashes and keeps the other lit up. I went through the troubleshooting section you sent. I can hear the mechanically whirring sound under the hood for sure, but cant really hear anything under me....So what is the next step? I dont know what exactly to check for or where the Transfer Case Encoder Motor is......any help? Thanks

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Follow the axle and what it goes into is the disconnect. The metal thing in the photo is the disconnect. The red is just a plug that gets removed before installation.

s-l300.jpg

Edited per Sparky's correction.

Here's a pic to give you an idea of where the encoder motor is:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's the actuator, actually. Encoder motor in on the transfer case under the truck, behind the transmission.

Reactions: Matt and djthumper

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
If this part pictured isnt making a sound is that a sure thing that it is bad? Is there a way to make sure this is the bad part, or is it one of those deals where you have to buy it, and see? Cheapest I can find one of those is 130 dollars. I would kinda like to make sure it is bad before I get one that is non returnable once installed. Thanks

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Which one, the actuator or the encoder? You could have someone turn to the different 4WD settings while you've got a hand on the actuator, then the encoder to see if you feel any movement. This can be done while in the run position with the engine off. The other way would be to have it hooked up to a Tech 2 scanner and have them command the different settings to see what it's doing.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
the encoder I guess.....I can hear the one under the hood making nouse, but the one under the car I cant hear. What I am asking is if it isnt triggering by making a noise is it 100 percent sure to be the culprit, or is there other issues that can cause it to not work?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nothing is 100% but I'd say 90% it's the encoder motor. The other 10% could be the transfer case but if you remove the encoder motor and you can turn the shaft in the T-Case, then it pretty much confirms the motor is dead.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online