4x4 Help

jmabs509

Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Illinois
Hello everyone, came from Trailvoy. Anyways... 2004 Chevy blazer LS I6 4.2 46k miles... Has been sitting in weather for 4 years. mid west salt bucket.

Switch on dash is fine, everything lights up. "service 4x4 light on" When i switch to any mode, i hear a mechanical sound underneath me indicating the encoder motor is working. So i hopped on trailvoy and saw a good trouble shooting guide. 2wd works fine

Took the encoder motor assembly off, everything looks fine on the wiring. I tried turning the splined gear on the car (not the assembly) and it moves about half a cm and clunks out. not sure if this helps at all. I confirmed though the assembly is getting powered but sounds like something is "locked" up when i try to switch. When i turn it, i hear the motor trying to change, but sounds like it gets locked up, and it keeps trying to engage (the 4x4 cluster just keeps flashing the desired setting" then it just sounds like it stalls out. I've yet to take a look at the front axle passenger thingy to see if there's a problem there.

While i was under there i noticed this part (not sure if this has to do anything with 4x4) Looks like some rats or corrosion. What is this part and what does it do? Could this be a the problem? This is located about a foot forward from the encoder motor area driver side. A circle plastic looking thing with a couple of hoses connected.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    702.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 10

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR