4x4 Disconnect Inquiry

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Ok since I got my new disconnect and realized my actuator will activate 4x4 but won't engage the disconnect properly. I took off the actuator and put a bolt in it's place which works, of course leaving the two front tires locked all the time.

Of course 4x4 can still be engaged from inside since the switch also changes something in the front differential to allow the front drive shaft to turn with engine power.

I've seen some people put in the AWD modual instead of the disconnect but are wondering if the differential will wear out quicker.

My question is, when the 4x4 disconnect isn't engaged, the tires aren't locked together but the cv axels are still turning while the vehicle is moving. So wouldn't gears in the differential still be moving also? Minus the gear that locks the front drive shaft to the diff.

If so, wouldn't running the AWD modual be a better fix, except for the 1 mpg lose. Since you still have the ability to swap between 2hi and 4hi/lo?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The front differential is always spinning from the driver side wheel regardless of drive mode, yes.

You won't really be wearing the differential out any quicker, and besides, they last a long time anyway. 207k on mine and still rolling fine.

The AWD sleeve is less failure prone as it is one less moving part. I opted to keep my disconnect functional when I rebuilt mine but it was tempting to just get the sleeve and be done with it.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I'm thinking i may go with the awd. Just due to the bolt i installed, i noticed the best way to engage it is to lift the pass tire off the ground. Turn the bolt in, turn the wheel until it is guaranteed locked then turned the bolt again, then the wheel to check then check tje bolt again. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
It works but theres a lot of playing around to make sure its engaged properly

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online