4WD Switch Lights

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Well my 4 wheel drive has been getting a lot of use this winter here in the NE. I noticed yesterday while I was driving that the 4H light was blinking for a couple of seconds, but the switch was set on 2H. Now it didn't seem to actually go into 4H, but the light was in fact blinking. Now today while I was on my way home from work I noticed it doing it again and this time something weird happened when I came to a stop...I can't be sure that is was, but it felt like I had no power at the pedal when I started to go? I was able to limp into a parking lot and put it in park. I then proceeded to run the 4WD switch thru each setting and all seem to act accordingly. I could not duplicate that no power feeling the rest of the way home? Any ideas as to what is the deal with the 4H light blinking while being in 2H? I have HP turners and didn't see any codes and I also checked all the fluids and all are good. Thanks guys

Chris

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A high resistance connection inside the switch can look to the TCCM like you're asking for another mode. 2HI could look like A4WD or 4HI.

Turning the switch through all modes 50-100 times may clean up the switch contacts and help this symptom. As could buying one fo the 2005+ redesigned switches that are surprisingly cheap even at the dealer.

Blinking usually means a failed transition of either the front axle actuator or the transfer case encoder motor, but you have some unusual behavior I can't totally explain.

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
the roadie said:
A high resistance connection inside the switch can look to the TCCM like you're asking for another mode. 2HI could look like A4WD or 4HI.

Turning the switch through all modes 50-100 times may clean up the switch contacts and help this symptom. As could buying one fo the 2005+ redesigned switches that are surprisingly cheap even at the dealer.

Blinking usually means a failed transition of either the front axle actuator or the transfer case encoder motor, but you have some unusual behavior I can't totally explain.

Thanks Roadie...While I can't ignore what happened with the lack of power feel I'm not going to put too much into it until it happens again. I can't be sure the two are related... The switch deal seems to happen more than not. So if the switch is set in 2H and starts to blink in 4H, but hasn't been actually switched to 4H does the TCCM think I'm trying to put it in 4H? What if I was on the highway and this happened? Would it just pop into 4WD?? Is the suggestion here to replace the switch itself? Is it a bad idea to run the switch thru its paces and have the 4WD actuators going in and out all those times?

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
What the...? I thought I had the first reply on this thread! Maybe it didn't submit.

If running the switch back and forth doesn't help cure the issue, you could always open 'er up and do a manual cleaning and adjustment, if it appears either of those are necessary.

If you would like help testing the switch to see that it all looks okay, let me know and I can run you through it. Removing the switch is a very easy job whether it's to repair or replace.

ChriSS K

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
IllogicTC said:
What the...? I thought I had the first reply on this thread! Maybe it didn't submit.

If running the switch back and forth doesn't help cure the issue, you could always open 'er up and do a manual cleaning and adjustment, if it appears either of those are necessary.

If you would like help testing the switch to see that it all looks okay, let me know and I can run you through it. Removing the switch is a very easy job whether it's to repair or replace.

For the cost of the switch I'll just replace it if I'm going to pop it out? Is it as simple as just pulling it out? (Try not to insert joke here)

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
From what I understand, yes I do believe it is. I myself have never pulled one but that's how everyone makes it seem. Plus a connector on the back, big whoop.

Edit: It is that easy. It's held in by two metal tangs that just push outward from the switch, not even clips to actually fully secure it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online