4WD Selector Switch

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
After many years of cycling the 4WD selector switch it got to the point of not resolving itself. After observing the voltages (fluctuating) with the Tech 2 I ordered a replacement switch but in the meantime I disassembled the original switch, cleaned the contact surfaces and it then worked fine. I found it fairly easy to do. I haven't used the vehicle a lot since so right now cannot confirm how permanent a solution this might be but it doesn't cost anything but a little labor time.

IMG_20190321_150817.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
We have been advising people on ORTB for awhile to rotate the switch a 100 or so times before replacing cause it will often clean the contacts enough to save them buying a switch. Taking apart would work even better, but some may get by with rotating a bunch.

Reactions: Redbeard

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Update: Over 5 months have passed and I have had no troubles with the 4wd selector switch since the cleaning. Never did put the new switch in, kept as an "in case needed" part. I did replace the encoder ring in the transfer case encoder/motor shortly after cleaning the selector switch as the encoder ring had was failing.

4wd has been used many times since these repairs and has never failed to work as designed

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
did you actually take the encoder apart to check / clean the ring or just replace the unit? IF you didn't take it apart... you probably should have as the same situation for the contacts / wipers exists in the encoder.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
did you actually take the encoder apart to check / clean the ring or just replace the unit? IF you didn't take it apart... you probably should have as the same situation for the contacts / wipers exists in the encoder.
By now you may have stumbled across my other post about doing just that! The encoder ring in my 2002 was not able to disassemble without destroying it.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I have a question related to the switch but more so the actual selector knob on the dash, that I am able to pull mind off with almost no effort. Looks like one of the clear plastic tangs broke off. Could be from age. If I hold it in place tightly, the selector switch does work as I can hear everything engage and the lights work correctly. But can I just get a new knob to replace it or do I have to get a whole new switch? I don't mind getting the switch just for the knob so long as I have peace of mind it will work right when i need it come any snow we might get.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
But can I just get a new knob to replace it or do I have to get a whole new switch? I don't mind getting the switch just for the knob so long as I have peace of mind it will work right when i need it come any snow we might get.

Probably your best bet to hit a junk yard to get a used switch for cheap. You can either swap it in, or cannibalize the knob depending on it's condition.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.