4wd not engaging - steering play/slop

81turboguy

Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Greetings,

Starting a new thread from the one below since it wasn't mine.

I believe I have found my steering play issue. The left tie rod is not tightened against the knuckle. I tried to tighten it with just a wrench but the spindle keeps moving so I'll have to try to get it to lock. This is a new Moog tie rod replaced about 3 months ago. I don't think it was tightened all the way to begin with but I'm very surprised the mechanic missed it that did the alignment.

For the 4wd system, I went through the steps in this article (excellent resource btw :thumbsup:). I started with the truck off, key on, 4hi engaged and passenger tire lifted, I was able to spin it freely. I then lifted both tires and I could also spin the drivers side freely. I did not notice the prop shaft moving but will have to double check again since it was getting dark out.

Fluid was recently changed over the summer and they said it had some normal varnish on the cover but didn't find any metal. I do hear the high pitched whine and the second motor going when I go into 4hi.

While I was spinning the pass wheel, there was a small clicking noise in the cv boot and it looked like it was "jumping" in the boot when I turned it. The same clicking could be heard on the drivers side.

EDIT: 4wd switch has been replaced already and there is no Service 4wd Light on

Am I looking at a new/rebuild of the disconnect? Many thanks in advance for the ideas!

Orig thread.
http://gmtnation.com/f77/common-cause-play-steering-5691/

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you can spin the front passenger tire while the drive's side is held still, in 4HI mode, the disconnect is bad.

Who did the alignment? A chain store of some sort?

How many miles on your CV shafts?

81turboguy

Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
the roadie said:
If you can spin the front passenger tire while the drive's side is help still, in 4HI mode, the disconnect is bad.

Who did the alignment? A chain store of some sort?

How many miles on your CV shafts?

Thanks for the reply roadie. You mean held still and not help right? Just wanted to be sure.

If the disconnect is bad, I'll have to find some time to do that or wait for warmer weather (I live in NorthEast PA) since it's my daily to rebuild it.
As far as I'm aware, the CV shafts are original. I bought the TB a year ago with 86k on it, I have about 92k on it now. I suspect it was in a front end, driver side fender bender since the sticker is missing from my driver side door.

The alignment was done by a chain that a family member works at. I've had them do a number of things for me on this car and a 81 Trans Am. I might just take it back there and ask them to tighten it since they did they alignment.

So I'm looking at a disconnect and replace the cv shafts? I see they're not that much at rockauto and I plan on keeping the TB for awhile.
Thanks again.

81turboguy

Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
the roadie said:
Just fixed my typo. You're right.

You might fix your disconnect with a rebuild, but there are two aftermarket suppliers of complete assemblies now, besides the usual junkyard route.

Looks like amazon has the atp 111001 for a reasonable price.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online