4WD Disconnect - bad gasket

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Hey all,

Here is a pic of what I believe is my 4WD Disconnect (pic taken from front of vehicle). I noticed a few drop of oil on my driveway when the snow melted this week and found this tonight. It appears to have an oil leak. It was replaced 4 yrs ago, and hasn't given me any issues during limited use this winter or since it failed 4 yrs ago.

First, I thought this was only filled with grease? So, would this small leak be a non issue? I have heard of people sealing oil pan gaskets with a little bit of JB weld, perhaps I could go that route if I got it cleaned up.

Second: Can I just continue to drive it for now? As long as I'm not using 4WD am I safe from damaging this?

It appears there is no gasket. When I looked at the following rebuild (http://offroadtb.com/4wd-disconnect-rebuild/) they just seemed to use gasket maker. The R&R seems pretty straightforward, which I'm sure I can tackle. I'd take it apart, clean it up a bit, add some new grease and put it back to together again, but it will be quite a bit before i can get to it. Just want to make sure its not too time sensitive. Just as I'm about to hit post, I wonder, could gasket maker be used with it still on the truck? I'll try just tightening the bolts on the bottom before I do anything....

I would appreciate any suggestions/feedback?

Thanks All!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You are correct that there is no oil in the disco so the oil is possibly coming from the differential seal failing. That would mean pulling the diff to replace the seals. Another possibility is that it's coming from a leaky oil pan seal just above. A smell test of the leaking oil will confirm this.

Even if you don't use the 4x4 function, you need oil in the diff because the spider gears are always spinning with the left axle. If you can't fix it right away, either keep the oil topped up or pull the axles. Use Gatorade bottle tops to plug the holes.

Reactions: BrianF and psa55

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I'm still working on my 1st cup of coffee here this morning but that looks like a picture of the oil pan and the front differential, not the disconnect?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was looking at it at night so I missed that. Sure looks like the diff is leaking then. Same recommendations apply.

Reactions: TJBaker57

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Yup, it's the diff. I took the wheel off just now to see what it looked like. Pulled the cap, and it took about 450ml of 75w90 syn. to top it off. Appears to be leaking around the CV drive axle. Is there a gasket I can buy for this? I believe it's original CV.

Thanks guys!

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
I found it... AC Delco 19257296. $28 on Amazon. Will call the dealer to compare in the am. Most people seem to recommend a seal puller $9 at princess auto, and a seal installer.

UPDATE: $20.50 for the seal at the Dealer.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I was shocked when the dealer gasket was cheaper for the axle. I tried every parts warehouse I could find. Everyone was 30ish or more dollars, and no one had it in stock. Dealer was 16 dollars, and in stock. SCORE!

First time I ever replaced that gasket thou, it I had no idea how to do it. A few you tube videos later, and a gasket remover tool (that lasted all of 2 minutes), and I was ready to go!

Good that you caught it while there was still fluid reaching the pinion. Means everything internally "should" be ok.

Driving that new gasket in can be a bear, make sure its seated all the way. The gasket has teeth that line up with some part of the diff, and are a bitch to line up and seat correctly.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I see others already got it. From your first pic, the fresh oil looks to be from the CV shaft seal. Common. I cant remember when mine went out, maybe that 130-135,000km. Other than ripping the front end down, the seal was a quick fix and I think I paid just over 20$ Ca at the dealer.

I also took this opportunity to change the gear oil again. Risk of contamination when sticking tools into the diff and digging around to get the seal out. Plus it is F all for oil volume needed.

Reactions: Mooseman

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Temps were reasonably warm and was able to carve out a little time this afternoon to tackle this. All went smoothly. The most difficult part was getting the new seal installed. I didnt have much room to swing a small sledge to hit the seal installer. Got it most of the way in before having to slowly work my way around the edges. Used the flat backside of an axle socket the finish up the last 1/8". Otherwise, pretty simple fix. Can definitely see why the seal puller and installer were recommended.

I found it only took about 1.5 litres of new gear oil, which seems quite a bit less than the 1.7 listed as spec.

Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.