NEED HELP 4wd didn't switch to 2wd

Riktar

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
even though the indicator on the switch did the usual "blinky-blink" when switching to 2wd. I noticed it because I was in 4wd going through snow on the property and switched to 2wd once i was out on the pavement. It was very obvious it hadn't gone out of 4wd as soon as I tried turning the wheel and felt the front tires hopping against the dry pavement.

Even after switching back to 4wd and back to 2wd the condition remained. Backing up did nothing to release it. What I finally did was switch to AWD, drove for about 50 feet and then switched into 2wd. While my front wheels are now working smoothly on the pavement I am still concerned about this. for all I know the system is still stuck in AWD.

Per the former owners suggestion I have NEVER switched the selector while moving. I have always done it from a dead stop.

So now I am wondering what repairs I am looking forward to? I haven't had the need to switch back into 4wd and will avoid it if at all possible until this is resolved.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You may have two things going on. First is the front disconnect that is not disconnecting the right front wheel. Even if the transfer case is stuck in 4hi, that should allow it to freewheel. Second is your transfer case encoder motor not working properly. Aside from the disconnect, looks like it's staying in 4hi.

Search on the site for these things and you will find procedures to check them.

Another possibility is the transfer case control module. Are you getting a service 4x4 light?

Reactions: Riktar

Riktar

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
No, I have not yet seen that. Thanks for the tips, I will do more thorough search of the site to see what I can find.

Thanks!

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
He has to check the front disconnect if it is engaging and disengaging.
Rebuild of Disconnect
I couldn't find the step by step of the diag on the site like they had in the past.
Essentially, lift the LF side and turn the wheel by hand. In 2wd you can, 4wd you can't, the axle is locked up. If you're in 2wd and cannot move the wheel, the axle is locked up and the axle disconnect has failed.
A failed encoder mode more than likely set a code since it sends a confirmation back to the TCCM that the mode has successfully been completed.
Listen for two different "whines" when changing 2wd/4wd modes, it will narrow your issue.

Riktar

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
Thanks for the suggestion SMT 59 and seanpooh. Will dig into this on the weekend. Work has me bogged down right now.

Riktar

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
Thanks for the link Matt!

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online