4WD Axle Actuator Housing

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Last year my 4WD stopped engaging. I didn't notice for a while though, shows you how good my tires were getting for snow traction :smile:

My mechanic checked it out and said I need one of these:
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-53369-600-115.aspx

But because my truck is the less common short-wheel-base 5.3 model, he wasn't sure this was the right part. Can anyone confirm that this part is for 5.3's, or that the part is the same on all engines?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
That's the awd version,. If he has the selector switch he needs the more expensive one.. $285 or so
https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Trailbla...%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F161509948512

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You're right, my mistake...but, IIRC a number of people have gone to the AWD one, I think because of strength.

Reactions: djthumper

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I had actually come across the 4WD one @coolasice linked to myself last night. You're saying those ones are better than the "proper" ones? Sold from ebay? And theres no fitment issues or anything?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I think the powertrain brand sold on eBay is better then oem. I purchased 1 for the tbss when it failed along with the intermediate shaft.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I had actually come across the 4WD one @coolasice linked to myself last night. You're saying those ones are better than the "proper" ones? Sold from ebay? And theres no fitment issues or anything?

As mentioned, the ones from powertrain is better than OEM. They claim they've fixed the problems with them using better grease, different steel components and needle bearings. They fit right up with no problems. I put one in my truck about 2 years ago and haven't had an issue.

Reactions: xavierny25

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I just did a quick inspection on my CAD the other week. I popped the CV shaft out and other than the grease that rode directly on the bearings, it was still nice and red inside from the Mobil 1. I coated the bearings again with fresh grease and popped the CV back in. Appears the bearings are still decently tight. Its a pain to rip into this for such basic maintenance but its the nature of this beast.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online