4l70E swapped for 4l65E accidentally ?? have questions

BELOWH2O

Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Lockport IL
Hello
I have an 07 Tahoe and the trans went out I was told I had a 4l60E transmission. when I ordered a new Trans from Monster Transmissions and provided my VIN they told me that according to my Vin I actually had the 4l65E. I had my nephew replace the trans for me and shortly after driving it for about a week I started getting codes P0717 & P0700 and didn't know why so I contacted MT about this and they said My original trans was a 4L700E and that I needed to now pay them a restocking fee plus shipping to swap the transmission almost an additional $1000. my question is what is the difference between these 2 transmissions and do I have to swap them? Aside from the codes it seems to run and drive fine ( it does shift more aggressively 1st into second and 2nd into third ) but it is a performance trans with a corvette servo.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Welcome aboard! Looks like the main difference between the 4L65E and the 4L70E is the input speed sensor; the 4L70E has one and the 4L65E does not. That would explain the P0717 code (Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal). Other than the code, and all else being equal or better, I don't see any problem keeping the 4L70E. Here is a nice summary of the 4L70E differences vs. the 4L60E & 4L65E: All About the 4L70E

Reactions: mrrsm

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think I would be telling MT that they provided you a transmission based on the VIN.. Its on them to make sure its correct because you bought what THEY told you to buy. Thats not your fault.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This might prove an unusual place to *Find a Fix* but perhaps THIS can solve this issue:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
First of all, confirm which tranny you're supposed to have. Check the RPO codes in the glove box. Find one of these (thanks @azswiss ):

M30: 4L60E
M32: 4L65E
M70: 4L70E

Next, it would be totally ON THEM to fix this since it was THEIR mistake.

Now if they're still being hardasses, then one option might be to tune out the P0717 although I have no idea what that sensor really does. You might also need to repin the connector as that might be why it's throwing the P0700 as there are differences in pin locations.

One caveat though if keeping it. The 4L70E was usually behind 6.0L engines (I had it in my 6.0L Avalanche) because it is beefed up to take that power. It was also behind the LS2 6.0L in the TBSS. The 4L65E might not be as beefed up as much as the 70 but maybe because it's from a rebuilder named Monster Transmission, it might have been beefed up to the same or better than the 70. And I don't know what effect the input sensor would effect the shifting or other operations. A tuner may be able to totally delete that sensor and its error codes.

BELOWH2O

Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Lockport IL
First of all, confirm which tranny you're supposed to have. Check the RPO codes in the glove box. Find one of these (thanks @azswiss ):

M30: 4L60E
M32: 4L65E
M70: 4L70E

Next, it would be totally ON THEM to fix this since it was THEIR mistake.

Now if they're still being hardasses, then one option might be to tune out the P0717 although I have no idea what that sensor really does. You might also need to repin the connector as that might be why it's throwing the P0700 as there are differences in pin locations.

One caveat though if keeping it. The 4L70E was usually behind 6.0L engines (I had it in my 6.0L Avalanche) because it is beefed up to take that power. It was also behind the LS2 6.0L in the TBSS. The 4L65E might not be as beefed up as much as the 70 but maybe because it's from a rebuilder named Monster Transmission, it might have been beefed up to the same or better than the 70. And I don't know what effect the input sensor would effect the shifting or other operations. A tuner may be able to totally delete that sensor and its error codes.

thanks for the reply. that sticker is missing in my glove box so I could not verify what trans is supposed to be equipped in this vehicle. and I would agree with you that it is their fault as they require you to provide VIN for ordering the transmission. But the issue is that it runs and drives fine I live in a state where i have to pass emissions and they will not pass me with this code. I need a way around this issue

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Then I would suggest getting those codes tuned out. If you know someone with HPTuners or a tuning shop, they should be able to do that. There's also mail-in tuners that will do that however that means the truck will be down while the PCM and TCM are out.

Noticed you're in IL. Give @Reprise a shout. He's in the same state and has HPTuners. Just pay the required credits and whatever fee he wants (likely a beverage and lunch :smile: ). Also get him to turn off DOD/AFM before it fails.

Reactions: BELOWH2O

BELOWH2O

Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Lockport IL
Then I would suggest getting those codes tuned out. If you know someone with HPTuners or a tuning shop, they should be able to do that. There's also mail-in tuners that will do that however that means the truck will be down while the PCM and TCM are out.

Noticed you're in IL. Give @Reprise a shout. He's in the same state and has HPTuners. Just pay the required credits and whatever fee he wants (likely a beverage and lunch :smile: ). Also get him to turn off DOD/AFM before it fails.
Mooseman
I appreciate the information how do I get in touch with the person you recommended? I can be emailed directly at
and I had done a complete DOD delete on the truck already that is when all my issues started lol I have a diablo tuner but that does not give me the abilities I need to correct this issue

Last edited:

BELOWH2O

Original poster
Mar 17, 2023
Lockport IL
@Reprise Mooseman suggested you might be able to help me. I would appreciate any assistance i can get in this matter. sorry I am new to this chat experience. you could email me directly

Attachments

• JPEG3.jpg
    JPEG3.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 3
  • JPEG4.jpg
    JPEG4.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
@Reprise Mooseman suggested you might be able to help me. I would appreciate any assistance i can get in this matter. sorry I am new to this chat experience. you could email me directly leon@balersinc.com WORK or personal leon.rackauskas@gmail.com
(note to mods: I didn't receive the usual e-mails when someone references a user via @username on the site. You may want to check on this.)

Sorry for the delayed reply; I'm not on the site every day.

Anyway, I'm sending you a PM (you'll be alerted via the little envelope icon next to your ID in the top RH corner of the screen). Just hit 'reply', and we'll be talking.

(mods again: Please edit this post to remove his email addys; we don't want anyone's mailboxes spammed. Thanks!)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online