4l60e Sonnax Pistons with transgo SK-4L60E kit

PuckinBlazer

Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
UTAH
Hey all, I have a questions about rebuilding my 2000 4l60e Valve Body with the Transgo SK-4L60E shift correcting kit. I've read various things about using the Sonnax acculmator and forward pinless pistons with this kit. I've read that something or the other shouldn't be used with this kit due to making the shifts too firm? I don't remember where I read it and I can't find that thread.

I'll also be using the Transgo seperator plate and Torlon balls, does this all sound correct? These parts can all work together, right?
Thank you so much, I need to order these parts ASAP.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Sparky is our resident know-it-all on this kit. He is currently absent or he might pop in. I'll throw in my personal experience.

I put in this kit in my '02 TB and it was fine except for a hard 1-2 shift. I don't know why though. I think I may have drilled a hole too big because it didn't come with the drill bits. Other than that, I don't think I screwed up on anything.

If you contact the seller, maybe he can explain it.

Jul 24, 2012
I put this kit in and it worked well for me. When I decided to put it in it was because the torque converter lockup was slipping, and I was starting to get a really hard 1-2 shift.

I didn't have any troubles or issues when I was done, until the 3-4 clutch pack went out but that's a separate issue.

I got a kit that included a separator plate and gasket as well.

Here's my thread
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/engine-speed-blips-around-at-45-60mph.13731/#post-451410

Reactions: Shaw520

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Guessing you may have read about the Vette servo (1-2 servo) making that shift "too" firm. If you aren't putting that in, then I'm pretty sure you won't have issues, even if you drill the new separator plate, per TransGo's instruction sheet (optional, not 'mandated').

As far as the rest, you should be good. I have the Torlon in mine, along with the Sonnax pinless accumulators. You could probably drop the checkballs, since the TransGo plate is thicker, but I'd still put in the Sonnax parts, especially if any of the stockers are plastic. My 4th accumulator was plastic; I swapped the stock 1-2 accumulator in for it.

Since you have the earlier vintage Blazer, make sure you get the right kit - the plates & gaskets differ for yours vs most of ours. Other than that, take your time, read through the instructions a few times before starting, and if you get confused, you can always write back - I know of no other site that has so many people that have put in this kit.

Reactions: Shaw520

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yo.

What Moose linked to is correct. Just be aware some of the work to be done is on the servo on the side of the transmission, and getting the cover off without snipping the seal is a huge pain. And if you damage the seal, you'll have to go to the store and get a new one (I don't recall if Autozone etc carry that O ring or not). The kit with the Vette servo comes with all the seals too, which is convenient, but if you don't want the vette servo just order a new O ring seal for that cover just to make your life easier.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just be aware some of the work to be done is on the servo on the side of the transmission

Good point - you're supposed to make some modifications to the existing servo, per the TransGo instructions, if you don't replace it outright with a different one.

(OP) - You may as well assume that you're not going to get that outer cover seal off w/o damaging it, and even if you managed to do it, I'd still replace that seal at a minimum anyway (and for what you'll go through to mod the stocker (which involves using a grinding wheel and a press / vise, as well as some cross-referencing of other parts #s) I'd personally get the Vette servo & replace the thing outright). But I happily trade a few extra $ for less work / better reliability / performance.

A quick search of Google doesn't show retail parts stores (e.g.; Autozone, et al) carrying it near me, at least - YMMV. But they're available online from various places (Summit, eBay, etc.) The Teflon / PTFE ones are generally regarded as superior, and you should be able to get the seal kit for $10 or so.

bodine1975

Jan 29, 2020
Alleghany New York
Not trying to revive this thread nor am I trying to be a know it all but many things have changed and there is so much information to go through...... so ill just get to it. First, I wanna thank all my homies and homettes for a great site , great people and great information. That being said, I need to disagree with MANY things being said on this post and I have to inject my two cents into the conversation. One thing, moose man, the sonnax pinless accumulator for 1-2 are not designed to work with the transgo springs. They end up breaking and that maybe where you’re getting the harsh 1-2 shift from. Also, you drilled the seperator plate.... to match what speciation? You have to match those holes with you particular transmission and if you never removed the second, how did you come up with thi information? And better too small of holes than too big for sur but I would start with that 1-2 accumulater, witch is easy enough. All you have to do is remove the accumulater housing on your next oil change. Not really sure the orientation that’s supposed to be in there, they were all different but try to put the original configuration back in there and it may solve the harsh shift. I’ll bet a dollar you have a Brocken spring in there. Sparky, you too. Check that housing. And mooseman, put those transgo springs in that servo. That could also be the source of the harsh shift cuz the band is slamming into the drum. I’m intrigued to know what if anything happened to that transmission and what shape it in today. If any at all. Plus sonnax makes springs for the 1-2 piinless accumulator or if you happen to be changing the 4th pisto, you can put that in the 1-2( with a pin of course). Not so much addressing you two, just trying to give anyone else chasing this problem the right information. However lined my knowledge may be. I have the transgo shift correction kit in my 2004 trailblazer with pinless accumulators( stock 1-2 springs of course) a corvette servo conversation available for about $20 everyday online. Way cheaper than the a drop in unit and unless you’re going racing with your trailblazers, there is no need for billet anything in a daily driver.
well, with my knowitall rant over with I do want to thank everyone that contributes to this site. I’ve learn a lot since I started chasing this problem two years ago and after religiously servicing this transmission, I lost my original due to the many issues with this transmission it took out the pump, pump housing and stator and finding this kit was a lifesaving event. I hope to get another 100,00 miles out of the transmission. As for others searching for answers to questions about this issue, don’t go drilling a bunch of holes in the seperator plate and make educated decisions before you do the work. Don’t go crazy with throwing a bunch of parts at it just to be too late anyways. Transgo and sonnax has great customer service and will walk you through this pain in the ass transmission and as long as you take care of it, you will never have to worry about it again.
just cover my background, I’ve been a mechanic for the pat 25 years but only recently got into transmissions and now that’s pretty much all I do anymore. I learn something new everyday and I love a whole lot more to learn. Peace and hair greese

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online