4L60E question

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Hi all, long time since last post.

I got a almost new tranny from a Saab 9-7X -05 4.2 i have as a spare for my now sold -02 TB Ext.
Does this tranny fit on a 5.3 as is, or does the 5.3 have a different bellhousing/bolt pattern.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The bellhousing is different, as is the torque converter. But both of those come off fairly easily, and can be swapped over. I have heard some prefer the 4.2 torque converter over the 5.3. But that is only what I have heard.

The bigger question. Your 02 model is going to be a standalone TCM/PCM, and the 05 --likely-- isnt, separate PCM and TCM. Which means the wiring might have to be swapped over I believe.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You will have to swap the bellhousing and the torque converter. Otherwise, the trannys are the same.

Be very careful when inserting the TC and turn/push gently until the pump tangs engage the slots in the torque converter shaft. Check the depth of the converter before and after. If the tanks are not properly engaged, when you mate the tranny to the engine, it will destroy the pump.

Reactions: 6716

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Hi toll

My -02 is sold, so no problems there.
I have the tranny for sale, and possibly one guy who is interested.
But he want to use it on a -00-05 Gm pickup, there of the question.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The bigger question. Your 02 model is going to be a standalone TCM/PCM, and the 05 --likely-- isnt, separate PCM and TCM. Which means the wiring might have to be swapped over I believe.
I don't know if 05 V8 had a separate TCM but it shouldn't make any difference as the connection to the tranny is the same.

If you might want to help a fellow GMTN member, @Jeantalus is having tranny problems and getting parts to rebuild his so he might be interested in buying yours. He's in France. Just a thought. Get in touch with him.

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I now ride in this nice beast, perfect for the Swedish gas prices😜
-07 GMC Yukon Denali xl

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_153824764_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220515_153824764_HDR.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 7

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I don't know if 05 V8 had a separate TCM but it shouldn't make any difference as the connection to the tranny is the same.

If you might want to help a fellow GMTN member, @Jeantalus is having tranny problems and getting parts to rebuild his so he might be interested in buying yours. He's in France. Just a thought. Get in touch with him.
I don't think he's willing to pay the shipping though but otherwise I would gladly help him.

Reactions: Mooseman

Harpo

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
@Jeantalus I didn't think so😂
It would probably be as much as I want for the whole tranny 🙁. Even if it's from Sweden.

God luck with the rebuild!!.

Jul 24, 2012
Be very careful when inserting the TC and turn/push gently until the pump tangs engage the slots in the torque converter shaft. Check the depth of the converter before and after. If the tanks are not properly engaged, when you mate the tranny to the engine, it will destroy the pump.

Can confirm. I did not set the TC correctly, and when I put the transmission up and started to tighten, it crushed some bits. Fortunately it made a loud enough noise that didn't sound good that I pulled it down and figured out what happened. Had to have the TC re-re-built.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online