4L60e differences between 2004 and 2005 ?

SSportWagon

Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
I replaced the 2005 Envoy XUV (5.3l 4x4 3.73 geared) that my lovely wife smashed with an exact duplicate BUT it is a 2004.

Im going to part out the '05 and would like to keep the 4L60e trans in case the '04 has future problems but what little I can find shows they DO NOT interchange ?

Can anyone confirm that .. and if so, what is different?

Thanks in advance ..

AlanW

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check the RPO Stickers for variances in these Codes:

M30=4l60e
M32=4l65e
M33=200 (3 speed auto) used in parallel hybrid Silverado
M70=4l70e
M82=5l50e
MT1=4l80e
MN8=4l85e
MV3=5l50e(awd)
MX5=5l40e
MYC=6l80e
MYD=6l90e
MW7=Allison

• Haha
Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

SSportWagon

Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Thanks ... but they are definitely both 4L60E's just don't know what the difference is between '04 and '05

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The big difference (assuming they're both M30's) is that the '05 forward got its own TCM (transmission control module) attached to the trans case,, split off from the PCM (which then became the 'ECM', of course). It's on the passenger side, btw, above / near the 2nd servo (4" round thingy near the pan).

Now, with the extra control module...you guessed it. The wiring harness changed (at the trans end, at a minimum)

Since you went newer > older vehicle, your PCM s/b able to control the 'old' (actually newer) trans, if you ever put it in. BUT - you'll need to account for that wiring, disconnecting it from the TCM (the easy part) and potentially changing some pinouts on the harness (again, do-able, but a little more work). IIRC, the ATCO repair manual will detail the pinouts (might be easier to understand than the GM Service Manual)

A subharness might be available, but I think you'd really only benefit from that if you were going to an '05 from the '04 (b/c you wouldn't have it on the '04 trans). Keep it in mind, tho.

If you get the pinouts wrong? Not good. In a best-case, you'd operate in fail-safe mode (3rd gear), probably with a ton of 'P' codes on your reader. It gets worse from there. So don't screw it up...LOL

AFAIK, that's the only difference between the two MY, w/ regard to the trans. The actual mechanicals s/b identical (or nearly so)

Oh - is the '04 a 4WD, too? If not, you can dispense with the tailpiece that connects to the transfer case / front driveshaft (b/c you won't have one). The old one ('05 trans) has the tailpiece, so you're good. If you can, salvage the t-case from the old one, too - they ain't cheap to replace.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online